Question for you guys running Typ4 cams

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest opinion. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have passed on this one too. It fooled me. Shame on me. There are a couple things I should have picked up on and didn't. I really don't think it spent much time as a plow truck the bed being as clean as it is gave me hope. It is what it is now.

Your point is very well taken on it being awful short term. I mean to be honest, my initial plan was to do a fummins in a brick nose truck because I like them and do have sentimental attachment to (my first truck was an 88 f150). After a lot of research and discussions, I decided to give the IDI I whirl simply because it's easy to deal with according to the state. After a lot of reading and finding this forum, I thought you know, it must be a pretty good little engine. I'll build one up and see what I think of it. If it don't have enough hutspa, then I'll do something else even if branded a traitor by the church. I was having a discussion the other day with someone about why I kept going on this truck and essentially, it's an infrastructure move at this point. My other truck is starting to fall apart. I don't need a truck very often but when I do, I need a real truck. This should be enough truck.

When I'm done with this truck I'll drive it a while and decide if I like it. If that means I throw this one away in a few years so be it. It's an experiment really.

That's a lot of rambling to say thank you for your vote of run what I got. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngunbd

Reaction score
200 a hole for sleeves?? dang heh my shop is 80 a piece. too bad it costs lots to drop ship a block to CA

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's been part of my problem. I'm not from here originally so I've had a hard time finding a good local shop. Closest good recommendation I've got is an hour and a half away. There are still other options. I've got some more leg work to do.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Def. get it sleeved all the way around. Cheap insurance I think. I did the same thing. Had them put in the thickest sleeves they could get.

When my engine goes next time, for whatever reason, I wouldn't feel bad at all putting 4k into the engine at all in hopes of it lasting for years to come.

Last edited:

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't know what part of MD you are from im from York PA and just had mine done in Manchester MD.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just up the road. Who was it and if you don't mind me asking, what all did you have done and what did it run you?

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cam being reground means that the base circle will be smaller than orig.On a cam,max lift,duration arent the only things to look at.The actual ramp angles are ground differently,and can throw so to speak the lifter right off the face off the cam if not enough spring pressure is used.Read up on the nightmare you will be entering by the time the motor is decked,heads milled and now messing with the base circle diameter of the cam.Also any material removed from valve seats and valve face.By the time all this removal stacks up.I gurantee that the rocker contact area will not be correct and will travel outside the correct contact area during full arc.A rocker are has to have contact with the vavestem in a very specific area during a full cycle(arc) or it will change ratios and put the stress on the wrong points of the rocker.Or another way to put it is there is a specific contact area on the r/a that the valvestem travels on,changing ANY of the ratio moves that contact(sweep) area.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 grand sounds cheap for an idi engine Russ? come on man lol.she had better last at least the 300k life expectancy or longer for 4k.id be ripping if i tossed 4k into an engine and just got 100k miles out of 'er as im sure all here would.:D

I should have said it wont need any work till 100k. Mine went 110k on junker injectors , just changed them.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 7.3 idit bought when a guys dropped a glow plug down #7, and still ran lol!! 94 sc long bed. pulled the engine and did an rebuild in the backyard. just a simple honing brought back all the crosshatch marks from factory, yay!! bought a reuibld kit: rods, mains, ring, and eight new pistons from mahle. with fresh gaskets and new top rebuilt top end. i got that truck back on the road for about 3 grand on the high side. maybe 2.

few years later i did an injection pump, injectors, and turbo upgrades to replace the stock ones with 175k on them. been screamin for the last five years with no problems at all. i have tried to kill her time and again, but she wont seem to quit.