question about ds4 and db4 pumps

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i got to doing some digging last night on the net and reading about the ds4 and db4 pumps, and why couldnt we adapt one to or trucks, now i knoe the ds4 uses a pmd but couldnt there be away to make something to control it, it says there is many different levels of timing and fuel injection rates and rpm and timing curves that can all be adjusted within the pmd, and that its capable of 40hp per cylinder which is 320 hp worth of fuel and it make power at 5000 rpm

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chev DS4s spin the wrong way. I agree though, I'd love to see one adapted. The control strategy is well documented, and would challenging but by all means possible to run off a homebrew micro-controller. There's an AVR Xmega sitting beside me waiting for a project!

I would like to try fueling primarily on propane or CNG, and just using diesel for pilot ignition.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The Chev DS4s spin the wrong way. I agree though, I'd love to see one adapted. The control strategy is well documented, and would challenging but by all means possible to run off a homebrew micro-controller. There's an AVR Xmega sitting beside me waiting for a project!

I would like to try fueling primarily on propane or CNG, and just using diesel for pilot ignition.

so the chevy motors spin in an opposite direction than ours? what would have to be done to the pump to make it work?

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
build a gear to gear adaptor that reverses the rototion on the ip. it could be done with some machine work. i dunno i was just thinking?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but by all means possible to run off a homebrew micro-controller.....

BLASPHEMY! You propose controlling your truck with a computer! You are NOT of the body!

BURN HIM! BURN HIM! Get the torches! :fight: :kick:

LOL JK

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the DS-4's are like the DB-2's, then the pump can be taken apart, and the cam ring flipped over, but IDK, I've never seen a DS-4 apart. In my Diesel Performance and Diagnosis class, we're going over DB-2's right now.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score

I have an easy way to get computer control in your truck... It's a two step process...

1st step - Sell your IDI
2nd step - Buy a PSD

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA!!

Put your pitchforks down!!!

I've thought about PSDs and the like. But when the computer and associated electronics take a dive, they can't just pull a DB2 out of the glovebox, and be on their way.

This topic sorta came up a few years ago, when I was thinking out loud about DS4s. Mel was the one who suggested I toss a servo on the metering valve of a DB2 :eek: LOL

RustyBolts, what about the vane pump? Can it handle the reverse rotation, or be reversed?

Do the 6.2/6.5s fire two cylinders at a time, or one like our 6.9s?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electronic controls versus computers... Not the same thing. LOL

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'd be easier than fitting a DS4 onto these motors. Gut the governor out, so the fuelling is only controlled by the metering valve, which is controlled by a servo. Just need a way to have full control of the advance... maybe hydraulically off the transfer pump pressure with a solenoid valve.

A requirement would to have basic fuel control if the electronics went haywire. Still retain a cabled throttle, which is normally connected to a potentiometer for the electronic fuelling, but able to be attached directly to the metering valve in case of gremlins.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA!!

RustyBolts, what about the vane pump? Can it handle the reverse rotation, or be reversed?

Do the 6.2/6.5s fire two cylinders at a time, or one like our 6.9s?

I know it can on the DB-2, But idk on the DS. Like I said, I havent seen one apart yet.
The 6.2/6.5 both only fires 1 cylinder at a time. They may be a Detroit made engine, but they're a Typical 4 stroke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance