pyrometer questions

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually you want it close to the engine as possible.
Yes the banks units already have a hole tapped. Yes you can use it.
I wouldn't, I want it close to engine as imaginable.

With turbo, use the running/grease method above.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically you want to know the temp of the exhaust gasses as close to the cylinder head as possible. The Thermocouple should be reading only the gasses from one cylinder. look on the manifold you will see a round flat spot on each cylinder that is a good spot to place the thermocouple. check out this photo of my manifold on my Motor home. Its set up with a drivers side manifold on the other side of the engine so this thermocouple is in #7 http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/10130488203/

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When drilling and tapping cast iron like a manifold its very important not to drill too small or too big of a hole. This is the drii size for a 3/8x18 national pipe thread. Its a 27/64 drill bit. For 1/4x18 (notice they have the same number of threads per inch) inch pipe threads its a 7/16 inch bit. Once you have the hole drilled now tapping the threads is much different from tapping machine threads. The pipe threads are a taper thread so as they screw into another fitting the squeeze into the threads. You do not want to tap till the end of the tap threads. That will make the threads way too loose and they will never seal properly.. When your finished you want to see at least 2 threads on the fitting. Sometimes three is a better fit. You can always go deeper but once you go too deep you ruin it for others...:angel:;Really You can't make the hole smaller again if you go too deep. Try a test on a piece of aluminum because its softer to tap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online