Push rods

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that we have to orient the push rods correctly which is determined by the color of the ball. However, only some of mine show the coloring so I ask, how do I determine which end goes up? Both ends are magnetic, both are same dimensionally, taste the same, etc. Next curiosity is if I make my own pushrods would inconel be beneficial for its strength? If I do use inconel seamless tube, would or should I increase the diameter and wall thickness?

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more ?, could I determine top and bottom by the wear patterns on the ball? Smaller pattern towards the lifter?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, I'm really not sure it matters. Dimensionally they are the same. My understanding is that some come with a coating/color on one end, and when someone asked a tech about it, they said "put it this way".

As far as added strength, don't worry about it. If you bend a pushrod, the problem is elsewhere - generally, it means you either have a failed lifter or (in a performance situation), you need stronger valve springs. Basically, bending a pushrod on one of these engines means that the piston whacked the valve at least once, and fairly hard too. This isn't too hard to do, especially if the motor was rebuilt recently(depending on the valve recession tolerances).
There's only about .030" of clearance between piston and valve at some point in the cycle, stock. Any variances(new valves, block decking, thinner head gasket etc) affect this. A sticky lifter can easily cause valve to piston contact.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of used pushrods where the copper coat has rubbed off.
You might need a magnifying glass, as this is somewhat difficult to see.
On one end of the pushrod, you will notice that the shiny finish has been slightly rubbed off near the oiler hole, and the other end remains shiny all around. The end that shows a slightly dull finish will mate with the rocker arm. Shiny end mates with lifter.
Make sense? I tried to take a picture of this but it's too difficult to see.

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will try looking at it with my 10x to see if I can see what you're describing.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Rocker arm end. Notice how this end has dulled around oiler hole. Its not the best pic but you can see it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lifter end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online