"Punisher" E4OD valve bodies...

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of yall used them? i talked to him by phone and seems like a SUPER nice guy, everyone that gets a VB from him RAVES about the work he does. my trans is doing fine, just a little lazy shifting, i was told ford did that for comfort. personally, i would rather have firm shifts and less wear (slippage) on the trans. just curious if any of you had experience with him... no website, just an email, very simple one man operation with personal service. heres a writeup from one of his customers and he comments in it, his email addy is in his signature.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204088

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link, nice writeup on your kit. i like the transgo stuff, i used their AODE-3 kit to convert a 4R70W to full manual then put it in my supercharged foxbody... it went 6.50's in teh 1/8th with a 140,000 mile junk yard tranny and the transgo kit. i was more looking for something "drop in" like Punisher has for this, granted, im gonna pay alot more than the transgo kit, but....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I would say try it. Don't use the "Lightning" spec body. That will be very harsh. Unless you plan on drag racing your IDI.LOL

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say try it. Don't use the "Lightning" spec body. That will be very harsh. Unless you plan on drag racing your IDI.LOL

he actually is a Lightning guy, has a fast one! but when i spoke with him, he mentioned he could make it shift exactly the way i want, and if it wasnt... he would do another, until it was right. im probably gonna get one when i get a few more bills cleared up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
he actually is a Lightning guy, has a fast one! but when i spoke with him, he mentioned he could make it shift exactly the way i want, and if it wasnt... he would do another, until it was right. im probably gonna get one when i get a few more bills cleared up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still havent done this, been working on the little pesky stuff first... A/C fixed, fuel tanks fixed, oil leaks fixed... this ol'e gal is almost where i want it to be, the valvebody is still on my list of stuff i want though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought firmer shifts were a good thing too, as firm as your kidneys could stand would make the clutches and linings last longer in the tranny. But I heard something the other day that has me a little worried about that theory. It seems you can have too much of a good thing, and it can put too much stress on the linkages and the connection points on the bands, and over time actually break them from bringing them in too sudden. That and the added stress to the rest of the driveline from the harsh shifting.

There probably is a point that is just right, but I guess like everything, you can over do it.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought firmer shifts were a good thing too, as firm as your kidneys could stand would make the clutches and linings last longer in the tranny. But I heard something the other day that has me a little worried about that theory. It seems you can have too much of a good thing, and it can put too much stress on the linkages and the connection points on the bands, and over time actually break them from bringing them in too sudden. That and the added stress to the rest of the driveline from the harsh shifting.

There probably is a point that is just right, but I guess like everything, you can over do it.

I got a remanufactured e4od in mine and it shifts too hard for my taste. It shifts harder than any auto I've ever seen almost in limp mode. I did think the last one was too mushy so now I'm on the other side of the fence. But with it shifting hard I have learned to take my foot off the pedal a little bit let it change gears and then get back into it if i'm not pulling. If you drive it easy it shifts easy so I figured it was all the new updates. Wounder if I have trans that was meant to be in a Lightning.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a remanufactured e4od in mine and it shifts too hard for my taste. It shifts harder than any auto I've ever seen almost in limp mode. I did think the last one was too mushy so now I'm on the other side of the fence. But with it shifting hard I have learned to take my foot off the pedal a little bit let it change gears and then get back into it if i'm not pulling. If you drive it easy it shifts easy so I figured it was all the new updates. Wounder if I have trans that was meant to be in a Lightning.

If they are hard AND a little late, you may be able to fudge the throttle position sensor and calm it down a little bit. When the throttle is not open very much, line pressure is lower and shifts are earlier. If the throttle is open very wide, the line pressure is high and the shifts are delayed.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lightning trans would have a different bellhousing.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are hard AND a little late, you may be able to fudge the throttle position sensor and calm it down a little bit. When the throttle is not open very much, line pressure is lower and shifts are earlier. If the throttle is open very wide, the line pressure is high and the shifts are delayed.

Thanks I'll try that. I borrowed a snapon computer and set it to what it said and forgot about it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a valve body,is a valve body.it's all about how they are modified.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes since. I got it from a big well know company who was suppose to have re-manufactured mine that I sent to them with a 3 year warrenty for a nice big price but I wanted one that would last. I kept having the Od light come on at random moments but everybody kept telling me it was in the wiring since it did it with the previous trans. My new trans made it 2.5 years so they sent me another one, the one that shifts hard. I've had it for 4 mo now and no flashing light at all so I think they missed or overlooked something in my original trans.