94 f350 2wd e4od limp mode?

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am trying to help a friend out and get his truck back on the road. From what he told me one day the truck was fine, the next he's going down the road and it seems to struggle taking off from a light. Then it dumped all the transmission fluid onto the ground out of the inspection shield drainhole. So he flat towed the truck to his house where they refilled the transmission (took 8 qts) and it still drove around in 2nd gear. That's when he called me over there to look at it. I played around for a few mins, put it on my trailer and dragged it to my house now.

So far all I've figured out:
According to the underhood fusebox diagram i attached, fuses "K" and "U" were blown, the overdrive light was illuminated saying "off", reverse is fine and when you put the shifter into 1 it feels as if the truck takes off just slightly easier than if it were placed in 2 or drive. Tachometer doesn't work anymore but the Speedo does.

So I replaced the 2 blown fuses, tach worked, shifted great on a test ride, I thought the problems were solved, I went to move it in my driveway and boom same thing again.

Now (1) what should I be testing in the process of elimination to figure out why those fuses are going bad? And (2)why did the transmission fluid dump out on him but I drove it around and it kept the fluid in?

Any information is appreciated I am curious to learn what's causing all this

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
Both the tack and the VSS must work, or the E4OD will go into limp mode. The FIPL must be pretty close to correctly or the E4OD will be unhappy. Your description sounds as though the truck is in limp mode. Start working/tracing the fuses and wiring. I can't read the print on the images you posted, so I'm not even sure those fuses apply to the situatiuon.

The one glaring problem I saw was the flat towing. You simply cannot flat tow an E4OD. The pump does not turn to lube the transmission during a flat tow. You must get those rear wheels off the ground, or disconnect the driveshaft. There is the possibility that he burned up the transmission doing a flat tow. Hope not, but maybe.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the tack and the VSS must work, or the E4OD will go into limp mode. The FIPL must be pretty close to correctly or the E4OD will be unhappy. Your description sounds as though the truck is in limp mode. Start working/tracing the fuses and wiring. I can't read the print on the images you posted, so I'm not even sure those fuses apply to the situatiuon.

The one glaring problem I saw was the flat towing. You simply cannot flat tow an E4OD. The pump does not turn to lube the transmission during a flat tow. You must get those rear wheels off the ground, or disconnect the driveshaft. There is the possibility that he burned up the transmission doing a flat tow. Hope not, but maybe.
The FIPL read 1.3 closed and 4.2 at WOT.i don't have a tool to read specifically. The fuses that blew read "K" glow plug controller fuel shutoff solenoid engine temp switch cold timing advance solenoid and cold idle solenoid. "U" reads fuel line heater electric transmission control and PM power relay

I drove it for 5 mins with no problems before those fuses blew again, so I hope that the flat tow didn't ruin anything but I'm glad to know that for future problems haha

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If those two fuses keep blowing, I'd say with almost 100% certainty, the fuel heater has shorted out. If you look on top of the filter head, not the side where all the hose and other electrical connections are, but the side that faces the hood. There is an electrical connection, this is the fuel heater. I would unplug this connector (the heater doesn't actually do anything anyway) and tuck the connector away safely. Replace the fuses and try again. If you loose the power to the TECA (electric transmission control, as you stated) the E4OD goes into limp mode.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those two fuses keep blowing, I'd say with almost 100% certainty, the fuel heater has shorted out. If you look on top of the filter head, not the side where all the hose and other electrical connections are, but the side that faces the hood. There is an electrical connection, this is the fuel heater. I would unplug this connector (the heater doesn't actually do anything anyway) and tuck the connector away safely. Replace the fuses and try again. If you loose the power to the TECA (electric transmission control, as you stated) the E4OD goes into limp mode.
I will try this in the morning and update what happens, thank you very much

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

Might want to track down the location of the TECA. Some of them were known to get water in them if there is a failed windscreen seal. If nothing else, I would at least inspect the connector or the case for signs of corrosion.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

Might want to track down the location of the TECA. Some of them were known to get water in them if there is a failed windscreen seal. If nothing else, I would at least inspect the connector or the case for signs of corrosion.
Production date is 05/94 7.3 idi non turbo 2wd. Could be a stupid question, but Isnt that the same as a TCM or is there something different ?. Regardless I'll check that in the morning also

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression the location of the transmission controller was different between the 89 vs 92 body styles.

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy shoot thats a late production IDI. trying to get rid of the engines :-D

insane something like the fuel heater could put the trans in limp mode.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No surprise to me. The PSD is the same exact way. Fuel heater will short and wipe out the pcm fuse.
But.... the fuel heaters are always powered with key on. Engineer "oh let's put these on the same circuit."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected the fuel heater, went for a ride and no problems, can't believe something like that would cause this headache.

Now The only problem is why did it dump the trans fluid when he was driving in limp mode? But now it holds the fluids fine

Thank you all for your help

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible that it overheated due to the other problems. The factory silicone seals are not very good to begin with and if it's the original seal...well...it may be on borrowed time.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible that it overheated due to the other problems. The factory silicone seals are not very good to begin with and if it's the original seal...well...it may be on borrowed time.

+1 on overheated. I have seen a couple dump their fluid from over heating due to slow speeds (gravel road) while towing travel trailers.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Production date is 05/94 7.3 idi non turbo 2wd. Could be a stupid question, but Isnt that the same as a TCM or is there something different ?. Regardless I'll check that in the morning also

TECA is the Ford catalog name for the TCM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin