Pump timing?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will need a timing meter to time your engine. Where are you located. Might be someone near you willing to time for a fee or for free. I sold off several of my meters so I know they are out there. I have one available for rental because I have done a timing meter rental program for many years now. Pm me for details.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay but how would I physically adjust it on the pump? Would the timing meter adjust it? Is there a screw on the pump to turn? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Okay but how would I physically adjust it on the pump? Would the timing meter adjust it? Is there a screw on the pump to turn? Thanks

I did a search for a bit and couldn't really find a great write-up. I know there are some Youtube videos, but I can't access them from this computer. This article gives you the gist of it:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1208dp_cheap_fun_ford_idi_diesel_engines/

Couple of things more to mention:

1. Adjusting the pump should ONLY be done with the engine off (as opposed to a gasser where you could loosen the distributor and play around with it a bit while running)

2. To adjust the pump, you need to loosen (not remove) three bolts, two of which are a real PITA to get at. See the crazy-looking wrench on the bottom left pic in the link I posted? It's shaped that way to get at the bolts. THAT'S how much 'fun' they are.

3. Never run the engine with the IP bolts loose! Tighten them between each run.

4. I don't think it's necessary to remove the lead to the timing advance if the engine is warm. I may be wrong, though.

5. If you find you cannot turn the IP far enough to dial in the timing, loosen as many of the the injector lines at the IP that you can reach. Just be careful not to snag the throttle cable with the wrench while doing this. It may snap things. Ask me how I know.......

I took my first stab at timing my truck a few months ago using icanfixall's rental program. It's a fairly easy job, especially seeing how he includes all the specialty tooling (including the wrenches) you'll need. He also throws in his business card, so help is just a phone call away. I highly recommend going that route. The results were DEFINITELY noticeable, though I think I need to take another stab at it. I kinda chickened out after I broke the throttle cable. I know I started at about 4° BTDC and ended up just shy of 8°. I think I could go a bit higher than that, though I think I also need to turn down my fuel a bit, too. Not sure which of those comes first. Sorry. Rambling......

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That was a great article from Jason at Diesel Power magazine. That was my meter and tools he used for that. I recall him using it a few years ago over in Vegas on his friends rig. He did a nice writeup too. The most difficult issues with timing usually is the turning of the pump because the hard lines cause so much resistance to turning. But just loosen the easy to reach lines at the pump and problem solved. I like to leave the top nut snug and then bump the turning wrench with a soft hammer or my hand. Then pump moves and stays that way. Also before I adjust timing I make a center punch mark in the pump to housing joint. Then when I move it I can actually see the mark becoming 2 half circles telling me I have moved.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go to SEARCH choose ADVANCED

in KEY WORDS type TECH 101 then choose THREAD TITLES ONLY
in USER NAME type riotwarrior hit search and when the list comes up...look for the threads I've done on timing, I think there are 3 all told.

SEARCH is your friend here!

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online