Pump/Injector issue

Tyee II

Reaction score
I recently got my 92 F350 back running with a 7.3 with the Banks Turbo It ran well until recently when upon start up there is lots of smoke and a misfire until it clears out and and warms up. It appears that there is likely a leaking injector. The longer the engine sits the worse the smoking is. Once it is up to temp it runs fine with a little more smoke than normal with heavy acceleration. I am thinking leaky injector ? Could this be a pump issue ? If it is an injector, is there anyway to tell which one without pulling and testing each one ? If it is an injector, I am thinking repalce all 8, what brand are best and where is the best place to buy these ? Thanks in advance for your replies.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well not easy diagnose but crack injector lines at first start up...whichever one seems make smoke go away is likely the one.

New from @typ4 aka Russ or @Agnem aka Mel at conestogadiesel.com or reman from Justin at IDI Performance R&D

All 3 provide parts Russ and Justin are closest to you Mel is E US.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill in the truck specs in your sig line, this way we have a clue of what you have foing on.
Also hit the stickies.

First guess 'truck at least has 100k on pump and inj.

Prognosis = replace both.

Tyee II

Reaction score
Pump and injectors have been replaced about 60 k on each. I have a set of Stanadyne (E code) injectors from the removed engine that have 25 k on them. They were working fine when I removed the engine. I am tempted to install them in the new( to me ) engine. Any precautions I should be aware of ? Can the copper washers be reused ? If not, where can I find replacements ?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
pLEASE DO not REUSE THE COPPER GASKETS ON THE INJECTORS. tHEY HAVE WORK HARDENED AND WONT SEAL CORRECTLY. tHEN HOT EXHAUST GAS WILL CUT THE COPPER AND RUIN THE SEAT. iT ALSO FILLS THE HEAD INJECTOR BORE WITH CARBON AND MAKES INJECTOR REMOVAL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE. nOW IF YOU KNEW HOW TO HEAT UP AND QUENCE THE COPPER IN COLD WATER AND THEN FILE IT SMOOTH MAYBE.. jUST MAYBE YOU COULD USE AN OLD GASKET. i SUGGEST DOING THIS OMLY IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE WATCHING THAT HAS DONE IT. sO MUCH EASIER TO PURCHASE A SET OF COPPER GASKETS FOR ANY GOOD INJECTION PUMP REPAIR SHOP OR THE MEMBERS MENTIONED HERE.

Really sorry it is all in caps.. Fat fingers hit the cap lock and I type 2 fingers at a time watching the keyboard.. My bad but I'm helping others.. Not yelling honest..

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoudmouthLOL^^^

60 k you might want to pop test a set first then swap em.
The best thing I've done to mine was load it down and run it uphill like a rented mule!
This thing sat all year for a 1k mile trip, so the pump got to sticking and this freed the governer up.
But yours sounds like an inj. Leaker/stuck on grit?!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hes in portland, I can supply pop testing and an install kit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See.. You are VERY close to Russ and one can't get a better offer than this.. Close by and has the parts and years of actual hands on experience on these engines.. And many other engines too.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Russ is a helpful guy. Got a rebuilt set of BB's and return kit from him and my IDI is no longer in danger of fubaring itself LOL Runs sooo much smoother.