Pulled the heads, have a few issues

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an effort to find out why my motor would not reach operating temp and was using a lot more fuel than usual the past few months I pulled it suspecting a head gasket issue. Well the gaskets look fine, but theres a few things i found wrong. First off, pistons 1,5,7,2,6,8 all have cracks in them where the valve sets into it. 7 and 8 being the worst. all of those cylinders had an awful amount of corrosion build up on them as well, mostly in the valve recess and around the edges. Its a white powders substance. The valve seats on the heads are all corroded as well, 7 and 8 again being the worst. My rings are shot, as several streaks of oil is being left on the cylinder walls on the down-stroke, which explains my oil consumption. However, the cylinder walls look really good, can still see the cross hatching in 80% of the surface area so cavitation seems to have been avoided. Motor has 250,000 miles and a hypermax tubo from day one, and was used fro towing primarily before I got it so its had a rough life I can imagine. What do you guys think I should be looking at? Comments? I have some pics but have to wait for the cord to get here this afternoon and I'll upload them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off there are no valve reliefs in the top of the pistons. What you see is a Ricardo cup. Its there for the combustion of the fuel as its blown out of the precup. As for the cracks.. Not good but not really bad either. The piston domes are 560 thousands thick at the middle where its the thinnest. The edges are much thicker. The corrosion is a mystery to me but I'm thinking its water getting in somehow and the engine sitting. Then rusting. Valves have a rotater under the springs to keep the seats clean. The valve actually will move in a circle as the engine is running. Yours may be not working well if at all. You posted its been used to tow but the rings are shot. Might be the rest of the engine is very well worn out too. Glad the cylinder crosshatch is still visible but whats the crank look like.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent pulled the bottom end apart yet to get a look at the crank, hopefully get to that tonight. What is strange to me is that a few of the head studs, the ones near 7, 2 and 6 come out extremely rusty, like they had been sitting in the rain, and the pushrods for 3,5 and 7 have a significant amount or rust and scale on them. So I don't doubt water is getting in there somewhere.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished pulling the oil pan and got a look at the bottom end for a few minutes. Didnt pull the caps yet so this is all mostly visual. The cam looks to be in good shape, no wear of any kind really to be seen. The rods that I can get my hand on, I am able to shake the piston back in fourth in the cylinder proably 1/32". I expected this with the oil i saw on the cylinder walls, but how much is normal for an IDI in terms of play? Again, I havent pulled the caps off the rods yet, so we'll see what that looks like soon.

8 and 6
You must be registered for see images

4 and 2

7 and 5

3 and 1

Number 8 piston

Number 8 Valves

Number 7 Valves

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure is. Just went out and looked at them. 1,7 and 8 are all cracked between the valves, with #1 extending up into both valve seats and 7&8 stopping short.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those heads are cooked! I'm sorry to say but I havent seen heads that bad in awhile yeowza. Luckily heads and parts for these old hogs are cheaper than any other pickup truck diesel out there. It's time to rebuild it the way you want to! ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water has been known to leak from the hood down onto the top of the aircleaner and then drip into the engine. I know they do it on the gas engines, so I suspect they can do it on the diesels also when the seal on the rear of the hood doesn't work well anymore.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rain water does get past the cowl seal and end up on the air filter top. This engine had a turbo so that is not why this engine is ruined. Those cracks are the problem. Call around for new offshore heads. They are heavier than the original heads in all the correct places like the deck thickness and the areas where yours have cracked. Dieselcast Welding sells new heads and rebuilt. So does Alabama Cylinder Heads. Be very careful buying an ebay cheapy rebuilt head. They never turn out right of very close to never.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
250k and that already? the guy that owned this truck before you must not have been good on maintenance. i got an 84 with the 6.9 idi, 500k+ miles, i still get 20mpg hwy, and have plenty of power. burns oil like any international, have a crack in the block but thats been there 5 years now i just keep addin water haha