Pulled some injectors...why do they look this way???

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled some injectors out of a motor I bought. The injectors are supposed to be new, an most do look new and fresh. BUT 2 injectors look different. 6 are all nice and clean and shiny silver looking, one is all black, like thick black soot and the last one is covered in wet black oil?!?! What causes this? Was goin to drop them in mine to replace the originals.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the black soot is from the copper washer in the bottom of the injector bore not sealing. the other one, is there wetness on the body of the injector?

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea from the threads down is covered in black wet oil. Like the washer wasn't sealing but where'd the oil come from? BTW the oily one is rear driver side cylinder I think.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you see a letter stamped on the injecter hex nut... Hopefully it will say BB on it. Look into the head where the injecters came out. See if the copper gasket is there or on the end of the injecter. These enjecters need a torque of 35 lbs. Might be the person that installed them had no idea what they were doing causing the color issues your seeing. It would be a good idea to pop test them so you don't end up with some leakers in your engine. What makes you think they are new injecters anyway..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if it is oily above the copper gasket on the body of the injector someone could have spilled oil or you have a leak on the top of the engine. this oil can run past the threads and sit in the cavity between the injector and head. how is the nozzle on that one if it is clean i would wipe it off and go with it.

now a sooty nozzle that might be a leaker or a cylinder with some compression issues. if you can find someone with a pop tester it would tell you all you need to know in the injector health.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are D code injectors. All were installed by a professional diesel mechaninc (my mechanic and former co-worker) who is also a mechanic for the ODOT highway department. He's the best around period! I also know the guy who purchased the injectors new. Granted they are from Pensacola diesel BUT they are new none the less. He bought them and a new pump because he was having problems, installed them and the truck had a bad miss in cylinder number one. Loosen the line it goes away. He swapped another new one in, an old one in, and swappe them around and the miss stayed in cylinder 1. Owner decided it was a wrist pin knock and opted for a whole new motor. The pump and injectors got drive once.....a whopping 25 miles. The other six look bran new. I kind of think it may have been a bad pump from Pensacola and not the motor BUT when I saw all the oil and crud I thought maybe the motor was shot.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are no new d codes available that I know of, only remans. and they would be black finish if new not shiny.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
They are D code injectors. All were installed by a professional diesel mechaninc (my mechanic and former co-worker) who is also a mechanic for the ODOT highway department. He's the best around period! I also know the guy who purchased the injectors new. Granted they are from Pensacola diesel BUT they are new none the less. He bought them and a new pump because he was having problems, installed them and the truck had a bad miss in cylinder number one. Loosen the line it goes away. He swapped another new one in, an old one in, and swappe them around and the miss stayed in cylinder 1. Owner decided it was a wrist pin knock and opted for a whole new motor. The pump and injectors got drive once.....a whopping 25 miles. The other six look bran new. I kind of think it may have been a bad pump from Pensacola and not the motor BUT when I saw all the oil and crud I thought maybe the motor was shot.

There's part of the problem right there. Pensacola's quality is questionable, at best. Take the inj's to a shop and have them pop tested.

It's obvious that some of the inj's were not sealed to the head. More than likely, the seating surface on the inj bores needs cleaning. The oily inj is prolly a leaking valve cover.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to go about cleaning the injector bore and sealing surface if you don't have the tool? Where can you get the tools?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well by new I meant fresh remans.

This quote is a problem in two differant ways... New is just that... They have never been used.. Rebuilt or remanufactured. Secondly when this poster like many others tells us "the parts are new" we are left to just that. So for all that reads this... Please explain what you mean by saying something is new. That way everyone has a much better understanding of what is posted and we can help you better find the problem your posting about. In no way am I critizing the poster. Many times we get a post description that is really differant than what it is.. A common posting here is timing... Many times we refer to moving the pump "a dimes width".. When we really are attempting to say "move the pump the thickness of a dime" but it comes out differanty...:D

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I know. It was my bad.....that's just how I'm wired. When I need an alternator I say "I need to go to AZ and get a new one" knowing full and well they're remans. I just tend to call anything fresh and clean "new" so I'll try to be more aware lol. Regardless I just wanted to know if anyone knew why the two that were obviously not sealed, were two totally different textures than the other six. I guess I'll just clean them up and pop test all the ones I have. Is there anyway to test the injector pumps without 1. Just trying it out or 2. Sending it to a shop? Thanks