PU Bed Differences

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
I have a 85 F250 4x4 PU that came into my possession with a barn door canopy and the tailgate in the back. The canopy is off and I am now trying to scrounge up the appropriate hardware and bolt the tailgate on the truck. The truck didn't come w/ anything on the bed hardware wise. Now, upon looking through my LMC catalog the 80-86 trucks passenger side tailgate hinge appears to be quite different in it's mounting hole spacing than the drivers side hinge. The 87-96 trucks use the same size hinge piece on both sides.... Were there any differences between the 80-86 and 87-96 beds in the tailgate hardware mounting department? My roommates 87 F250 bed looks exactly the same as mine but my tailgate is definitely the earlier style.... I will post some pictures later when I get home from work.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they were different. Did you by chance try to put your tailgate on your roommate's bed? No, I meant the truck tailgate - the rest is your business!!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are different, yet interchangeable. 80-86 uses the side hinges that you referred to, 87 up used cables.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
83-86 hardware(80-82 is different)
You must be registered for see images attach

97-97 hardware

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
Thanks Diesel_brad! That was just what I was looking for.;Sweet My thoughts were confirmed that I have an 87 and up bed on my 85 as the fender wells were different in the curvature and that definitely explains it. I can not fit my original 85 tailgate onto my roommates 87 PU as the hinges are smaller in OD and pushed inwards a little bit. Fitting the upper tailgate latch onto the bed won't be a problem as drilling new holes is no big deal, however the lower hinge is a different story. Looks can be deceiving but the LMC catalog shows the passenger side hinge as a J shape and it looks larger in the hole spacing from center to center than the drivers side hinge. If they are the same in the hole spacing as the 87 and up PU's, than I am good to go in attaching them to my bed....:eek: Worst case scenario is I will need an 87 and up tailgate and associated hardware. Since I have already bed lined my existing tailgate and it is painted to match I am trying to make it work first. Diesel_brad or anyone else, do you happen to recollect if the hinges are the same spacing hole to hole on a 83-86 PU?

Attachments

• HPIM1891.jpg
    HPIM1891.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Ford Tailgate Parts.jpg
    Ford Tailgate Parts.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 7

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I was kinda wrong on that one.....Didn't realize the cables started in 83.
My truck suffers from the same identity crisis having a newer 87-97 (?) bed on it. Hell of a lot easier to find a good tail gate for it though.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks Diesel_brad! That was just what I was looking for.;Sweet My thoughts were confirmed that I have an 87 and up bed on my 85 as the fender wells were different in the curvature and that definitely explains it. I can not fit my original 85 tailgate onto my roommates 87 PU as the hinges are smaller in OD and pushed inwards a little bit. Fitting the upper tailgate latch onto the bed won't be a problem as drilling new holes is no big deal, however the lower hinge is a different story. Looks can be deceiving but the LMC catalog shows the passenger side hinge as a J shape and it looks larger in the hole spacing from center to center than the drivers side hinge. If they are the same in the hole spacing as the 87 and up PU's, than I am good to go in attaching them to my bed....:eek: Worst case scenario is I will need an 87 and up tailgate and associated hardware. Since I have already bed lined my existing tailgate and it is painted to match I am trying to make it work first. Diesel_brad or anyone else, do you happen to recollect if the hinges are the same spacing hole to hole on a 83-86 PU?

Not sure of the bolt spacing for the hinges, but even if you put the 80-86 tailgate on the 87+ bed, it will NOT look right. The early 80s bed and tailgate were boxier than the 87+ ones. It will physicaly fit but not look right

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
87+ ? Does that mean 87 to 97?

I lost my tailgate on a dirt road last night, and need to hit up a junkyard this weekend for a replacement. :dunno

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
Correct, as that is the exact same thing I will be doing this weekend. Figured I would at least make the truck 50/50 pre and post 86...LOL

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
Went to Pick N Pull this weekend and found a decent tailgate + hardware. It is even the same color! I had to glue the red plastic FORD reflector back on the aluminum trim and pound out a few dents, but it looks pretty good overall! Spent about half an hour adjusting it and it shuts like a dream. I just need a new handle and it will be complete!;Sweet As far as fitting a pre 86 tailgate onto an 87 and up bed..... the tailgate is the wrong shape for the bed and the lower hinges are a lot larger in their hole spacing compared to the 87+ hinges. So if anyone is toying with this identity crisis, you'll need to get the correct tailgate for the year bed.:angel:

Attachments

• HPIM1896.jpg
    HPIM1896.jpg
    774.1 KB · Views: 7

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Pick N Pull this weekend

Same here. Went to the good old junkyard and found a nice '95 tailgate for my '89. It was pretty easy to just pull it off the truck in the yard, and then walk to the parking lot and put it on my truck.

...and I've increased the value of mine by adding 6 year new parts on it.. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster