PTO?

Mtorg

Reaction score
So I'm THINKING of putting a PTO on the ol' truck, but I cant figure out which one I will need... So whoever has done this before could you chime in which PTO, gear, and pump you have, GPM, psi and all the stuff involved?? I'm wanting to put it on the tranny not t-case, a t-19. I'm wanting to put on a dump bed, possibly a hydraulic winch, and a quick coupler on the rear for a wood splitter or so mething... ;p so any help will be appreciated thanks!!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do over again I would go for an electric powered dump body. I currently have a pto on my zf5, and it ruined my trans because they are prone to leaking. It mounts on the side of the trans and shares the fluid in the trans. It needs to be shimmed properly so that the lash is not too tight. You will have to add the fluid thru the shifter port because you won't be able to access the fill- the pto is in the way.
With electric, you can stand outside the truck and operate the body cause the controls have an 8' cord. Look up dump body mfg's and price them out. Definitely go electric.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do over again I would go for an electric powered dump body. I currently have a pto on my zf5, and it ruined my trans because they are prone to leaking. It mounts on the side of the trans and shares the fluid in the trans. It needs to be shimmed properly so that the lash is not too tight. You will have to add the fluid thru the shifter port because you won't be able to access the fill- the pto is in the way.
With electric, you can stand outside the truck and operate the body cause the controls have an 8' cord. Look up dump body mfg's and price them out. Definitely go electric.

I agree, with the PTO setup you end up usually with large cables to activate it, and they are very hard to route and mount to be convenient and to work correctly. Here's a site that has good prices on electric over hydraulic units. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Power-Units/DC-Power-Units/

Mtorg

Reaction score
Well i've considered electric before, but if I do decide to put a dump on then I'll be putting hookups on the rear for a wood splitter and more than likely a hydraulic winch on front, (this is going to be my firewooding puckup) and I cant find an electric pump that is continuous duty that would do everything I'd need that's even close to my price range, so I was wanting a pto... what kind do you have quickster? Or does anyone have a used one lying around?

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Triple-C Hydrabed on my pickup. It has an engine driven hydraulic pump that runs the bale bed, as well as a hydraulic auger feeder and I also run my hydraulic chute with it. I have another bale bed that is 12V electric over hydraulic, but I like the straight hydraulic better. I have Pioneer quick disconnects at the headache rack and another set at the rear near the license plate. I have electric spools so I don't have a cable system to the controls but a three switch pendant on a cable. Wireless remote is also an option. I plan on running a wood splitter from it as well, but haven't done it yet.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at phtruck.com, then Chelsea for your PTO application, should be a 442 is you want to run it off your ZF. Chelsea PTOs use specific hardware to avoid loosening/leaking, lots of these out there.

I also know that you are wanting a transmission mounted PTO, however, keep in mind that you will get a broader speed/flow range by mounting on your t-case.

Good luck

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, with the PTO setup you end up usually with large cables to activate it, and they are very hard to route and mount to be convenient and to work correctly. Here's a site that has good prices on electric over hydraulic units. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Power-Units/DC-Power-Units/

I just looked at the Chelsea pto application pdf, and the one pto I messed with is just one of many different kinds they sell. They sell constant mesh units and you have options for 12v control, so the cable problem would be gone with those.

Mtorg

Reaction score
Well, sorry i got busy and haven't checked back again... Thanks for all the info guys! and which pto would i need if i were to mount in on the transfercase?

Mtorg

Reaction score
I did look at the parker chelsea one (any idea on price??) and it looks pretty good, but i'm also looking at the SG series pto from Muncie, mostly for simplicity and cost. Any thoughts? Also needs to be either the transfercase or a T-19, I dont have a zf5 :(

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First a leaking transmission PTO does not cause transmission failure. ONLY FAILURE to seal or to routinely check fluid levels causes transmission failure! thus end user is the cause!

There are a multitude of various setups that can work for your application. You need to know going into this what you will need for flow in GPM and at what pressure based on what items you wish to power. Only you can make those choices so gather the info for winch, bed, splitter etc and make an educated choice based on need.

You will need a remote reservoir as well for fluid and filtering setup.

There are PTO with direct mount pumps, or there are PTO's with shaft drive that engages a remote pump in a sump setup, again need/cost/want dictates this.

Another option is an engine driven PTO, that uses a clutch setup just like an AC compressor and belts to run the system.
http://www.munciepower.com/products...ass:Product Type.eq.Fluid Power&back=Products

This is nice for winching and keeps the pump up high out of the mess if 4x4ing

I'm sure you can google a setup like that fairly simply and see what I mean.

Start with as I said getting to know what you need and build up from there.

JM2CW

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PTOs do add more places for things to leak, but as mentioned, failure to check the trans fluid is what causes problems. You could actually see the pto as helping a bit as it adds sump capacity.

They do make electrically shifted ptos, and I have considered trying to use a vacuum or air cylinder. Vacuum would have to be pretty good sized, but I think it's doable. You don't need much force to engage the pto.

From what I've seen, PTO specing is fairly complicated. Among other things, it looks like different gear ratios in the trans matter, at least on the ZF5, so be aware of that.

Specing the hydraulic side is also somewhat complex - you'll want to figure out what flow rate/pressure you need for what you're planning to do and then pick a pump that will work at the speed you're going to have off the pto. Too much flow is a waste, and will require larger hoses/tubing as well as possibly causing issues due to backpressure. Too little is also bad for obvious reasons. Make sure you include a relief valve, and also consider that plumbing in multiple systems is not always as easy as you'd think, (ie running the winch & the dump bed, particularly if it's 2 different valves) and setting up for a add on remote like you mention is it's own can of worms. Not that it's impossible, or even that hard, it's just the you need to engineer the system to do what you want and make sure it'll all work together rather than just sticking a bunch of bit together.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A PTO is the most reliable way to get power from your truck. electric motors have a "duty cycle", they must stop and "cool down" in the middle of a hard pull. hydraulic PTO's don't have that issue. they are undoubtedly more maintenance intensive. fluid check are a must on a monthly basis.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First a leaking transmission PTO does not cause transmission failure. ONLY FAILURE to seal or to routinely check fluid levels causes transmission failure! thus end user is the cause!

There is no way to check fluid level when the pto is covering the fill and inspection holes. At least that's how mine is set up. The seal leaked on the actuator arm and over time I lost a syncro. It's guess work. User is the cause; sure. What do want to do, pull the pto,drain the trans, mount the pto back up, then fill it? C'mon over and be my guest!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7