PSD swap in my 92.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here.....:D....I'm junking a 98 E350 for the 7.3 that has 201,000KM - runs very well for $250:sly. I'm putting it in my 92 F350 cab and chassis 4x4 to get some more power over my 7.3 IDI. The truck weigh's 9000lbs with my 9ft plow on the nose. I took the cab off the van today and found a tag on the engine for a 99 model engine. I was wondering if it has the single or split shot injectors? What CC would they be and which turbo do I have? I'm using this with my re-drilled 460 ZF-5 and a 13" upgrade LUK clutch kit.

I know there are some differences between the truck and van stuff but as some of you know I'm a licensed truck mechanic by trade so fabrication and wiring mod's are no big deal for me. I plan to simplify the van harness and re-use as much as I can to save some $$$...I'm going to mod the rad support to take a 7.3 PSD rad or I also have two V10 rad's here and two V10 rad supports to chop up for lower mounts. Right now the truck is running a thick core 300 six rad which just keeps the IDI cool and fits the old 460 gas rad support....Barely...LOL....(fast fix when my old 85 style diesel rad blew up plowing snow)

You must be registered for see images attach

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad was it to redrill that zf5? I've been thinking about it for a 2wd powerstroke I'm getting that's an auto. I have a couple 4x4 460 ZF5s around.

IIRC 99 and up is single shot but don't quote me. I'm just getting into PSDs myself.

EDIT: 140cc? Stage 2s are like 150cc...:confused:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
How bad was it to redrill that zf5? I've been thinking about it for a 2wd powerstroke I'm getting that's an auto. I have a couple 4x4 460 ZF5s around.

IIRC 99 and up is single shot but don't quote me. I'm just getting into PSDs myself.

EDIT: 140cc? Stage 2s are like 150cc...:confused:
You're bassakwards. 99 and newer are split shot and bigger. My 94 is single shot for sure, and 90cc IIRC.
And Russ typ4 has a jig to drill the 460 to fit 7.3.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 2nd pic shows the pink tag and it say's 1999 model and show's the emissions info. Drilling the ZF is easy. Ream the top two holes to 1/2, take an IDI spacer and knock out the dowel pins. Bolt it to the trans using the top two holes you just reamed out and use the IDI plate as a drill guide. That's all I did, been running that way for 3yrs now with no issues.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I thought of that myself today...I will call on Wednesday. This cube was built in Jan of 98 so it's possible it would have recieved a 99 model engine with the changes from 97-99 in the F-series engines.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nope, no wastegate that I remember seeing..LOL....As for drilling the ZF, an IDI adapter plate is all you need for a jig...Works like a charm as long as you use the correct size drill bit.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Good to see you Big Rig. I will be interested to see how the idle to 1200rpm torque compares between the two engines. My brother has an 86 IDI and had a '95 stroke, replaced by an '02 stroke. EVERYBODY goes for the IDI for plow duties and NOBODY wants the IDI for highway duties.LOL

Good luck with your build, the powerstroke surely does open up a whole new world of options that aren't all too bad.:peelout

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Plowing - my truck is a beast, total animal with a 9ft nose full...Get it in the deep stuff to the pin in 1st gear at 3300rpm with a 5.14 bull low and 4.10's and it sounds like a 2 stroke Jimmy with a chubby....LOL....Towing, she's a lame duck...:rolleyes:...My little 4.6 powered 04 F150 does better on the hills.....My IDI works A1, zero complaints there but I want more power, the PSD is easy to get it in stock form and I can also use my trade skills to have a little fun trying/playing with stuff on it. It's not my daily driver, just an old truck I use to haul scrap and other stuff for cash from time to time. Still busy scrapping Ford trucks here, I've junked 7 counting the van in the last 6 months...Add in another that I did a quick flip on and it's 8....:sly

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here you guys go. "A and AA injectors came in the '94-'97 non-california trucks. They are all 90cc injectors and are single shots.

AB injectors came in the '97 cali, and all early '99 trucks. They are split shot injectors meaning they fire a small pilot shot before the main shot. These injectors flow 130-135cc of fuel.

AC injectors are found in the high torque version of the T444E and do not come in any Powerstrokes. They have the same internals as the AB injectors with the exception of the single shot plunger and barrel. However due to them being single shot injectors they flow 160cc. This is due to the way the split shots work. They have a small passage that opens, much like a port in a two stroke engine, that are uncovered that bypass the injection pressure out the side of the barrel instead of out the end through the nozzle. Because of this pause a portion of the travel of the plunger does nothing for injecting fuel so a split shot injects less fuel for the same amount of travel as a single shot.

AD injectors are also split shot but flow 135-140cc of fuel due to a slightly longer plunger stroke. These are found in all late '99-'03 Powerstrokes and T444Es.

AE and AF injectors are essentially the same as AD injectors but were called a long lead injector that was used as an attempt to cure a "cackle" issue many people complained about.

BA, BB, and BC injectors are essentiall all the same and are the same as AC injectors but are found in some DT466s.

BD injectors are the only B codes with the larger 7.1mm plunger and barrel that are single shot injectors. These are the injectors people are usually talking about when they are talking about putting I530E injectors in their Powerstrokes.

BE injectors are essentially the same as the AD injectors but found in some '97-'99 DT466s.

EF, BG, BI, BJ, BN and BP injectors all have basicly the same capacity and are split shots. However the nozzles vary on them depending on application. They can be found in many DT466s and I530Es

The LL (Long Lead) injectors are used in cylinder #8 to help cure the fuel starvation and noise reduction."

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your motor could be a late 97 or early 99.there were no 98 diesel trucks except vans.

To use that motor in a pickup you will need to swap the oil cooler, drivers exhaust manifold and up pipe at the least.depending on the turbo you may need to swap passengers manifold, up pipe and turbo to the 94.5-97 setup as I believe the 98 vans used 99 stuff

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May need to run an electric fuel pump as well.don't remember if they had for a pump.you can put a factory mechanical pump on it by pulling the turbo, remove the freeze plug from the pump hole.youll also need the 94.5-97 filter housing and lines to the heads

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Your motor could be a late 97 or early 99.there were no 98 diesel trucks except vans.

To use that motor in a pickup you will need to swap the oil cooler, drivers exhaust manifold and up pipe at the least.depending on the turbo you may need to swap passengers manifold, up pipe and turbo to the 94.5-97 setup as I believe the 98 vans used 99 stuff

This has the electric pump on the frame. I'm going to look closer today at the parts to see what is there. I knew there was some difference's in a few things but I couldn't remember what..LOL....I have a line on a couple more cheap PSD's if I need them for parts...Just waiting to pull the trigger on one of them. What the is the difference in the oil cooler? The turbo has the EBPV valve. I'm not sure on the housing sizes yet as I didn't look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle