PSD HEADS on a 7.3 IDI

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought but a few of us local boys here in ohio have a few extra 7.3 idi's that need rebuilt and a few psd sitting that are either blown or just plain wore out ,,,and as all moonshine drinkers know you come up with some strange ideas when drunk ,,,, so my idea is to put a set of powerstroke heads on a 7.3 idi since they have the same blocks ,, but only thing i can think of is how to get the injectors to work ,,, and one wanna help on this or give some idea's ....

THOUGHTS CONCERNS AND ANY INFO WILL BE GREAT ,, OR LOCAL HELP WOULD BE GREAT ....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I've been told the only things you can swap between an IDI and a PSD is the oil filter and they have the same bellhousing pattern. Everything else is completely different.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's right. The block, the heads, the intake, the crank, the rods, the pistons, the manifolds are all completely different. The 7.3L displacment is all they share.

Heath

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a DI 7.3, they are already madecookoo:D Lets say I have a spare 5.9 Cummins in a 24 valve variety in my garage. One day I say, "Hmm, I want a 24 valve in my truck instead of this old obsolete 12 valve" Instead of trying to mate the 24 valve head to the 12 valve block, I'd just swap the whole engine. See what I mean:dunno If you want a mechanical injection PowerStroke, that can be done easier than trying to make an IDI into a DI.
Travis..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Mechanically injected, P pumped 7.3 psd's are out there. Crazy power and crazier budget. Need a passion for Internationals and a deep wallet to get you there for sure. Cast iron welding and a machine shop are a prerequisite for this ordeal.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If you want a DI 7.3, they are already madecookoo:D Lets say I have a spare 5.9 Cummins in a 24 valve variety in my garage. One day I say, "Hmm, I want a 24 valve in my truck instead of this old obsolete 12 valve" Instead of trying to mate the 24 valve head to the 12 valve block, I'd just swap the whole engine. See what I mean:dunno If you want a mechanical injection PowerStroke, that can be done easier than trying to make an IDI into a DI.
Travis..

havent people done something like that with the cummaparts?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent people done something like that with the cummaparts?

I have seen mechanically injected 24 valves, not terribly difficult from what I gather. Truthfully, I don't know if a 24 valve head will fit a 12 valve block:dunno My point was that you don't need to re-invent something that is already available.
Travis..

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasnt tryin to re invent was just wasting my time since im layed off right now just didnt know if it could be done

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Di heads wont fit on an idi block because the cylinder spacing is differant... I did look into this years ago... even bought adi exhaust manifold trying to fab up a differant trubo up pipe set.... Spacing wrong... The di is a 7.3... The pistons are the same size as our turbo pistons are but the tops are way differant... Wont work... The di rods are the same length and the pin and bearing is the same diameter but... The bottom end is 130 thous wider so it wont fit without lots of machining... Then it will be too thin for a secure hold to the crank...