PSD HEADS on a 7.3 IDI

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Di heads wont fit on an idi block because the cylinder spacing is differant... I did look into this years ago... even bought adi exhaust manifold trying to fab up a differant trubo up pipe set.... Spacing wrong... The di is a 7.3... The pistons are the same size as our turbo pistons are but the tops are way differant... Wont work... The di rods are the same length and the pin and bearing is the same diameter but... The bottom end is 130 thous wider so it wont fit without lots of machining... Then it will be too thin for a secure hold to the crank...

could we use PSD pistons in a 7.3 IDI

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
There is a guy on the Ford Falcon website that is welding 2 heads from the 4 cylinder used in the Tempo up so that he can make a 6 cyl OHC for the small Falcon 144/170/200/250 cid engine. Seems like a LOT of work, but maybe he just likes a challenge.
Its not as crazy as it sounds--the Tempo 4 cyl is a Falcon 6 with two cyls missing. The bore spacing is the same, water passages line up etc.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on the Ford Falcon website that is welding 2 heads from the 4 cylinder used in the Tempo up so that he can make a 6 cyl OHC for the small Falcon 144/170/200/250 cid engine.
Seems like a LOT of work, but maybe he just likes a challenge.

A job like that would have to be a labor of love.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I need some clever word like that for the IDILOL Maybe a few of us.

like intertrashinal? or POSD? that said I am an International fan, just not a fan of V-8's of any type.

Dyoung14, if you are referring to putting a mechanical injection pump on a computer controlled engine, then yes I as well as others have put a mechanical pump on the 24 valve (computer controlled)

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I wish I could cast weld some fo the stuff too. I want to get a set of LS heads on my ford V6.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle