Pryo is in, now I can use the pedal on the right

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my pryo last thur, so today when the rain just wouldn't quit, I tackled the installation. Not to bad, drilled and cut threads just ahead of 8. Ran the wires and stuck the pryo in place of the oil pressure gauge that I am not using yet.

For all the guys that do not have a way to see what the EGT's are doing, I was simply amazed at just how freaking fast that needle can skyrocket.

On the first test drive I pulled 3rd gear pretty hard about a block from the house. The kids said the smoke drifted back down the street, and the pryo shot to 1200 just about as fast as the tach was moving. Back to the house and turned the pump down by 2 flats.

This time I hooked onto the big trailer and headed out in search of a nice long hill. Under hard acceleration in town I was hard pressed to get it up to 1000. 4th gear was another story, on the long hills where I was getting the motor back down to the 2K mark on the tach, I was getting temps as high as 1300 ONCE. As soon as I grabbed 3rd the temps came right down.

I mash it hard and make it talk, I am getting healthy dose of light to medium dark grayish hase. No more coal!!!!!! I am sure the neighbors like that part.

I think I could take it up another flat but I will wait to do that until I get the timing right. With a meter that is.

Thanks guys, all the talk in the different threads about the pryo made me decide to go ahead and get it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. First test run It was hard to get past 1100 in 3rd. 4th I could hit 1200 easy. This is with the ip at stock fuel setting. Turned it up 3 flats and I can hit 1200 easy in 3rd.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Wow you guys are hitting some high temps! I was once able to make it hit 1100 climbing out of warm springs floored in locked up 3rd doing about 45-50ish and that's all the higher it would go and even that scared me and I backed out of it just enough to keep it around 900-1000. Maybe I need to turn up my IP a little... Most of the time my pyro never goes over 700 around town.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ya both got one on me then,no turbo here Yet!!!

I'm not quite to the point of standing on the corner with my hand out but close. So the pump I put on was off another IDI and is of unknown age. What I do know is that it brought the truck to life compared to the old pump.

I pull 99% of the time, mostly just my tandem flat deck for the mowers. I am just guessing but I would put it at about 3500 lbs. And the BBQ rig, it scales at 9000 dry. Then since I weld a bit, there is around 1000lbs of steel sitting in the bed.

Now that the pump is on and I can run it. I am pulling the mowing trailer like the truck used to drive empty.

And the big trailer pulls about like the mowing trailer used to.

When I hit 1300 I was on a hill probably 2 miles long or better, not sure what % grade. We dont have big enough hills around here to keep track of percents. LOL I was in it hard just to see what it would climb to.

I dropped the trailer and took off doing errands with no trailer and I never even got it to nudge 700 and off the pedal it barley reads on the gauge. But now, on the highway I really gotta watch it, at 65 its making excellent power and it wants to go!!!! Twice I looked down and I was sitting at 3K. If I ever get a cam from rus and a baby moose from mel, I'm gonna feel like I'm driving the freaking space shuttle. Not to mention if I ever come across a turbo.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a guy told me i should put to pryo gauges in my truck 1 for each header .....i ask why ..he says so i can have a more accurate reading of my temps since i am a non turbo truck ...i say i got a 2.5 pipe from each side going into a 3.75" or 4" to the muffler ( soon to be deleted ) out the back to a 14" long 5" resonater tip so i got good exhaust flow an it will be better once the muffler is history why 2 pyro's .........now far as i know 1 will do jus fine so is there any truth to this or do i have a wack job trying to get me to add an extra gauge for nothing .......also what do you all recomend for the best kind of pyro gauge to get i want one that will last ....thanks alot ...............sorry if im highjacking i just didnt really find anything active about a pyro gauge an you guys seem to have the info im looking for

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I used an auber instruments digital gauge. I love it. Super easy to read and isn't laggy at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a terrible time with the search feature and had a hard time getting a good opinion on brand, but I ended up with a glowshift.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
glowshift aint bad. thats what i will be buying next. gonna buy water temp, boost, and egt in a 3 gauge pillar. wish i would of went ahead and bought them ahead of time instead of spending $112 on a pyro. might just have one in each manifold LOL

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I used an auber instruments digital gauge. I love it. Super easy to read and isn't laggy at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

I have one too and love it.

I was surprised how easily i can get mine to 1100°. I'm wondering if those turbo mufflers i put on there is choking the exhaust....