Project Elbow Grease. 1993 F250 Supercab 4x4

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to us truck. We've been needing a second vehicle for a while since we sold our new truck. Truck spent its life on a family farm local to us who happen to be friends of mine. Truck was the fathers truck that he bought new in 1993. When he passed away a few years back the truck got parked in a barn. A while later it got used as a pipe crew truck and then pulled from service because they weren't taking care of it. So it went back in the barn and sat until last week when i test drove it. Truck had been maintained mechanically pretty well i feel when it was being daily driven by the father. However it got neglected after he past. The truck is a 1993 F250 Supercab 4x4 7.3N/A E4od 4.10 gears has 134k original miles and the transmission was rebuilt early in life under warranty from Ford. I named this project elbow grease because the body has been so neglected and the interior is pretty filthy as the crew never cleaned it. But its all little things that will just take some time, scrubbing and of course elbow grease.
There are a few mechanical issues that i will need to repair, Radiator leaks badly(will pull and have repaired), Needs a return line kit badly(#7 spews diesel all over the exhaust), Glow plugs dont work(controller maybe), trans needs serviced. Other than that not too much needs done. Its had Schaeffers 7000seriese 15W-40 since new and its got a gooseneck ball in the bed and a heavy built rear bumper. I think it will fit the bill well.
Sorry about the long post. Here is some pics before i pressure washed it and washed it as some after. Thats as far as i got today. I'll update this as we clean it up. I have some stuff i'm going to try on the paint to see if i can restore some of the shine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 159

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more pics

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This evening after work i was able to get the radiator pulled. It looks to be leaking from the top center of the core. I couldn't tell if it was the tank or core itself. I'll call the radiator shop tomorrow and get an idea on a repair. I can buy a new aluminum 3 core from Radiator Supply Warehouse in Sweet Home OR for 300 delivered so thats my cutoff. Never personally had any radiators repaired so we'll see. I also took the time to degrease the core support and front of the engine as well as what i could reach underneath. Tested the batteries last night after charging them and found one is dead so i'll be shopping for those. Still need to test the glow plugs and the controller. Oh and i'll throw in a new IH thermostat and flush the cooling system with new hoses while i have it apart. Sorry no pics, got dark on me

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Champion 3 core aluminum rad 250 shipped on ebay all day long I've been happy with mine so far many others here are too!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have a champion as well. I also have a spare stock radiator that I'll let go for scrap price as I dont know how good it is. I think they can fetch $50-60. If that sounds good to you, I commute to Corvallis everyday and wouldn't mind meeting someplace around there.

Worst case is if its bad, you scrap it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you watch you can get the champions on Amazon prime too if you are in to that sort of thing. About the same price. I think mine was $230 or so shipped to the door. Looks like a nice piece. It's currently just taking up space in the shed waiting to be installed.

BTW, it looks like you got lucky and it really just needs some TLC. Good Luck!

Last edited:

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update. The radiator out of the truck was not repairable unfortunately. So i ordered the Champion off Ebay with free shipping. I also found a great deal on a set of 8 Motorcraft glowplugs with free shipping and a new return line kit. So this should take care of the know issues. I found four bad glow plugs when i ohmed them out so I feel better about not replacing the controller quite yet. While the radiator and batteries were out i pulled the battery trays and overflow tank mounts. I got them wire wheeled and primed tonight ready for paint tomorrow. Next on the list after i get the new parts installed will be to pull it up to the garage and gut the interior. There is about an acre of dirt behind all the trim and in the door panels that just makes the truck smell, well, dusty. So i'll pull the entire interior out. I learned from my cousin about using laundry detergent and a stiff bristle brush for trim and carpet. So i'll put that to work on the carpet and then pressure wash it out. Next i need to pull the dash and get behind it to clean it out. All in good time i guess.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overdue pics

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy with family and work. Got the my new parts installed. Pics of said new parts.

The radiator seemed to be of good quality. I didn't experience any fitment issues to speak of once i remembered the rubber bushings on the side. I will say this though, the transmission line ports are a joke! Whoever thought up those convoluted little swivel nipple fittings should be stoned. I just dont know why they couldn't have welded in a female 1/4NPT bung in the bottom of the rad. That being said, i am happy with my purchase. I'm just worried about longevity of the fittings and them not leaking. The shroud fitment was not the best i feel, but really neither was the factory one.

Next i moved onto removing the injection lines and return lines. While i was there i tackled the glow plugs. All of them were Autolites, go figure, luckily none of them swelled and the previous owner used never seize. The new Motorcrafts went in without a hitch. The return line kit i got was for a 6.9 as i prefer those caps and i had extra caps so i was able the keep the factory route. Got that all buttoned up and threw in the newly painted battery trays and new batteries.

With the new glow plugs in, my WTS light would hang on for a good 6-8 seconds and the truck now starts like it should. I scored a set of 295/75R16 BFG all terrains from a salesman at work with about 40% life. The tires currently on the truck are shot, and not safe. So i am hoping to find somebody with some tire spoons i can borrow. I'll get the tires mounted up and then try out the Airsoft BB balancing technique.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to see you are getting started. Might want to keep in mind, you can get a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for about $50 (less with coupons/sales). Might be worth it. Please post any results with the air soft beads. Balancing is the last thing keeping me from doing my own tire work. If that works well, I'd be in. Good luck with the TLC. Should be a good truck once you get it cleaned up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those exide batteries are supposed to be among the best.
Is that the bigger size? (Group 35 or whatever it is)
I used steel BB's. Not enough moisture in there for me to worry about. Worked good for me. Plan to put them in the new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper they are replacement group 65's. I have never found a need for anything bigger. I really am a fan of exides. The ones in our 87 are six years old and going strong, I've even accidentally drained them completely dead and they came back. Plus I got this pair for 110 so that swayed my decision too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online