project bullet proof ttb

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That's right! The plan (some parts are already in my room waiting) start with a Dana 50. Rebuild it with all new bearing, races, seals. Next after looking at several sights and seeing the weaker parts in the beams I have started work on plans for beam braces. I went with poly bushings because yes uniball setups are stronger but I would rather blow a $25 bushing rather then a drop bracket. It will have 4" lift thanks to f-superduty springs ( this will improve ride quality). I have Yukon axle shafts and am saving for the Yukon hardcore locking hubs. I plan on all new spicer and motercraft parts. Yes I could build a Dana 60 but why? It isn't an off road toy, also it isn't my towing rig. I like the ride quality of the 50. When I get healed up I'll start posting pictures of the progress. This is not a "put a Dana 60 under it" thread, please respect that. Now if I have missed anything or if you have any Dana 50 ttb information feel free to discuss here.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing last year. Put in a yukon posi, 1.5" add a leaf, upgrade t0 5/8 u-bolts, poly bushings.

I would drill and tap a drain plug while you have the carrier out, so you can see if the plug clears the gears.

the other thing was when swapping to posi, I had to put an old briggs valve spring in the spline connection since you cant use a C-clip on the passenger side.

I also made a set of dummy or set-up bearings to set up the carrier. I am more than happy to lend them to you.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing last year. Put in a yukon posi, 1.5" add a leaf, upgrade t0 5/8 u-bolts, poly bushings.

I would drill and tap a drain plug while you have the carrier out, so you can see if the plug clears the gears.

the other thing was when swapping to posi, I had to put an old briggs valve spring in the spline connection since you cant use a C-clip on the passenger side.

I also made a set of dummy or set-up bearings to set up the carrier. I am more than happy to lend them to you.
Wow! Thanks for the help! I did plan on the drain plug addition.
Any pictures?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Look at what ups and the the usps delivered!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dana 50 is a good axle, dont let anyone tell you any different, and there are plenty of desert racers using them. ck out a few of there websites and let the fun begin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online