problem getting zf5 in gear

91ididiesel

Reaction score
About 80% of the time everything works perfect but sometimes it will randomly decide it wants to be a pain in the ass to get into any off the gears when I shut the truck off all is well its like the clutch is not fully releasing when I press the clutch in in the past it has alwase cleared itself up any ideas ? :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its likely a pilot bearing starting to stick, the 91 trucks should be reinforced already IIRC.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. Just like a clutch replacement.

Certain bushings for certain years. IIRC. Has to match transmission year.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the clutch and flywheel replaced when the engine was replaced? If not, this might end up being more involved than you think, when you take it apart and find out the clutch is wore out, the flywheel is wore out, etc.

91ididiesel

Reaction score
If feels more like my clutch is not fully releasing because if I get it into first it will start to roll forwards and its the same with reverse only backwards

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the fingers in the pressure plate may be broken or worn. That's what I was saying when you get in there, this might be a $750-$1000 project if you find the DMF is worn out, which it probably is if it's never been replaced.

91ididiesel

Reaction score
Would that cause the problem to be intermittent ? Are there any other symptoms ? It works perfectly 80% of the time and when it starts acting up its almost always when it's around freezing and the trucks been sitting all night could the wrong trans fluid or low turns fluid cause it ?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that cause the problem to be intermittent ? Are there any other symptoms ? It works perfectly 80% of the time and when it starts acting up its almost always when it's around freezing and the trucks been sitting all night could the wrong trans fluid or low turns fluid cause it ?

I wonder how old the fluid is in the clutch system? It's brake fluid and we know how it likes to attract water. I wonder if changing the fluid in the clutch system would help it? I almost hate to say that, it's such a pain to bleed it and get all the air out and get the whole thing going again.

91ididiesel

Reaction score
I just looked at it and its nasty ! Brown and gross so I will change that today would a broken pressure plate finger be more of a constant problem and not intermittent ? Just curious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726