problem developed - loud pinging sound

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i think i am just gonna go ahead and replace the injectors in the next couple weeks.. also was looking at the IP through local a/p store, autozone sells a Standyne IP for a little under $600,, anyone know if these are decent pumps? i am not looking for performance out of it, just want the truck back to running good again...

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I think the baby Moose pump is only $625. That is what I will go with when any of mine get weak.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like the Baby Moose as well, just looking at all options.. I think the moose pumps costs are based on parts needed to rebuild your current pump so cost can be what you mentioned to much more depending on situation.. I am trying to get the money up for the baby moose and BB injectors myself, but just checking all avenues as this wasn't a cost i was hoping to incur until my play truck if finished being built..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
i would like the Baby Moose as well, just looking at all options.. I think the moose pumps costs are based on parts needed to rebuild your current pump so cost can be what you mentioned to much more depending on situation.. I am trying to get the money up for the baby moose and BB injectors myself, but just checking all avenues as this wasn't a cost i was hoping to incur until my play truck if finished being built..

The pricing model has changed. The Moose Master at the pump shop is not available as he once was. So the pumps are produced, and then exchanged at a set amount averaged from the ones over the years. Give Mel (Agnem) a bit and he will be through to correct my info if needed.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok that has changed then... i hope Agnem does chime in as i would like to know what the current price is on them.. Will PM him if needed, thanks for the update..

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
One question i have is if the injectors are stuck open wouldn't my truck be dumping fuel and pouring black smoke? i actually get very little smoke, and what smoke i do get is usually only light grayish...

No, it wouldn't. The injectors do not meter the fuel supply, the IP does that. The IP pushes a pulse of fuel down the injector line. That raises the pressure of the fuel over the spring pressure inside the injector, and it opens. When the overpressure of fuel is injected, the pressure drops and the injector closes. There is a residual pressure in the line, but there isn't a constant supply of fuel being pumped.

When your injectors are "leaking" that light grayish/blue smoke is the injectors leaking the residual line pressure out during the exhost stroke.

As for me, I NEVER buy major components from places like Autozone. They don't exactly believe in quality control. Personally I would PM Mel. However if you want to deal local; look around for an authorized Stanadyne shop, and have them rebuild it.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info.. i will see what Agnem has to say before going throught any local parts stores..

mason44

Reaction score
Mot sure if it was mentioned, but a loose injector can make a loud ticking noise, sounds much like an exhaust leak