pressurizing cooling system question...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my phone and can't find my other thread ... I made some plates to block off the main coolant ports , one with and air valve . I put 15psi in it but there is a tiny leak from one of my plates .. it dropped about 3 psi in 4 minutes , which is pretty accurate to the size of leak from the plate . if I had a cracked head , even a small crack , how fast should I expect the pressure to drop ? I can probably get it to seal , but I figured I would just call it good , depending on what you guys think . I know its impossible to give me an exact answer , just looking for thoughts on how fast the pressure would drop with a cracked head

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to not have to deal with it , lol ... oh well , guess I will . It's probably just a bur that I missed .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero luck sealing it . It's flat , tried rtv a few times , factory gasket .. it is finding a tiny imperfection to escape . I will just have to hope for the best . I can't hear air escaping anywhere else .

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to find an old plastic storage bin, feed trough, cooler..........whatever is big enough to fit the whole head in. Fill the thing full of water, pressurize the head, and completely submerge the head in water. Roll it around gently and look for air bubbles. This is the same exact concept the fancy pressure testers in machine shops use.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to find an old plastic storage bin, feed trough, cooler..........whatever is big enough to fit the whole head in. Fill the thing full of water, pressurize the head, and completely submerge the head in water. Roll it around gently and look for air bubbles. This is the same exact concept the fancy pressure testers in machine shops use.

I can't believe I didnt think of that ... bummer ! I already installed them , don't really want to take them back off . I will try the inner tube tomorrow . Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online