powerstroke vs. cummins?

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i could keep it and put the cummins in the ford but even using used parts it would be expensiveand the truck really is in bad shape(spring shackles are rotted and its starting on the frame behind the shackles). i know i could make out or better by parting it out but im unemployed and no access to a garage at this time

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you not find another body and frame in the junkyard? Dodges seem to be pretty rare where Im at but when Im in Michigan and up in the the northern states I see them all the time.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a guy in vermont who deals with mostly 1st gen and 2nd gen 12v and some early 24v. and he has a cab and probably a good frame but i still do not have a garage to take a project like that on.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the PSD? HPOP failures are very rare, what are the symptoms that has lead him to believe it needs an injection pump (which the PSD doesnt have)?

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got off the phone with the guy, he said that his boss bought the truck off of a friend and it didnt run. the po said it was a lift pump that took out the injection pump(sound like vp44 cummins issue to me).truck does not start. he said the truck has 280k on her.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
just got off the phone with the guy, he said that his boss bought the truck off of a friend and it didnt run. the po said it was a lift pump that took out the injection pump(sound like vp44 cummins issue to me).truck does not start. he said the truck has 280k on her.

so the truck dont run and he wants a $1000 difference? prolly a blown fuse? ive seen the fuel heaters short out and blow maxi fuse 22 (powertrain control module, fuel heater, and gp relay) without that fuse it wont get fuel or let the gp's cycle.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i could say if thats the problem but the trucks in n.c. and im in rhode island. either way im looking at a few grand more to get the dodge in good shape(cab,frame,suspension,brakes,leaks,etc.).whats the worst,the psd motor is junk and i have to find another psd motor or maybe an idi. at least the frame and cab/floors/corners all appear to be in great shape. and its a crew cab. also what are the ps motors could till in mileage if taken cared of?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i wish i could say if thats the problem but the trucks in n.c. and im in rhode island. either way im looking at a few grand more to get the dodge in good shape(cab,frame,suspension,brakes,leaks,etc.).whats the worst,the psd motor is junk and i have to find another psd motor or maybe an idi. at least the frame and cab/floors/corners all appear to be in great shape. and its a crew cab. also what are the ps motors could till in mileage if taken cared of?

well i gave $800 bucks for my old psd not running. it was a reg cab xlt dually. really nice truck. i couldnt see trading for it not running maybe an even trade or something?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the po said it was a lift pump that took out the injection pump(sound like vp44 cummins issue to me).

That does not happen to a PSD. It either has a bad mechanical fuel pump, a burnt VC harness, bad IDM, bad IPR or IPS or possibly something as simple as a shorted out fuel heater in the filter canister.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
i wish i could keep it and put the cummins in the ford but even using used parts it would be expensiveand the truck really is in bad shape(spring shackles are rotted and its starting on the frame behind the shackles). i know i could make out or better by parting it out but im unemployed and no access to a garage at this time

If you can find a crew cab ford for cheap that doesn't run or has the engine removed you could swap the cummins and trans in. PM 91fummins here on OB. He did this using the engine mounts out of the dodge the cummins came from. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 95 sure looks like my 92 IDI. Body and frame in good shape from S Carolina, engine was blown big time. Paid 4G for it. ******* who owns Metro Motors said it would run but had a blown head gasket.:mad:-cuss

Only good thing it has a GV U/O hooked to an E4OD.

You must be registered for see images

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Im a big Ford guy too and always wanted a diesel. I bought my 99 Feb of this year and love it. The Ford chassis and cab are awesome. Everyone always say that the best truck is a Ford with the cummins in it. Now the powerstroke is a very good motor especially stock but is a lil low on power. But you do some mods to it and you will have a very good motor. Exhaust is number one on that note. And do the tymar airfilter mod which both of those help a lot. It will be more expensive to fix compared to yer old 12v cummins. Injectors are expensive for the powerstrokes just like anything else that is computer controlled. Body panels from I think 80 to 97 will bolt right up to your truck. The other guys on here with those 80's fords will correct me if im wrong. LMC truck has tons of parts for your year of ford. That where I get all my parts from. Hope the deal goes good for ya. Sounds like an awesome truck especially since its rust free.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would find an IDI to replace the Dodge. Then you can afford to fix whatever goes wrong.

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Git er done and deal with it. That truck looks to be in good shape. :sly

aaklingler

Reaction score
I just paid 4k for a truck like the ford that has some rust, a miss and a tranny that needs work. Your could be looking at $.05 or $2000 to get the motor going and then you have a tranny you know nothing about. I like my psd's and I hope you can get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online