Powerstroke oil considerations

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me but I'm still learning the Powerstroke and I have lots lots of basic questions. This time I'm wondering about oil.
I understand the PSD is really concerned about pull due to the operation of the engine, HPOP and all. I'm looking at buying a 96 7.3 PSD,so that's what my question pertains to.
So, what weight of oil? Regular heavy duty oil? Different weight in winter? What's your preferred brand? Change schedule? Filter brand?
Thank you.

sassyrel

Reaction score
make sure,,you don't buy a cheap oil.. if that oil foams at all, youll have a rough running stroke.............

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
5w-40 in winter, or 15w-40 all the time if you don't see too cold of Temps.
A lot like 3k miles, kinda ridiculous, imo.
Stay away from Rotella.
Valvoline premium blue is pretty good oil. I've been running travelers from tractor supply, pretty good oil also. It's made by one of the bigger companies.
I also prefer the mobile one filter.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella 5w-40 every 5k for me in both trucks and the TDI.

sassyrel

Reaction score
personally,,you can get the motorcraft at wally,,for low price. filter also.. why buy the other stuff........has anti foam,,meant for the strokes...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sassyrel really said it best: foamy oil equals no PSD likey :(

Ford used to offer (maybe they still do?) an "extended oil/heavy duty service" engine oil additive. It was an anti foaming agent. Keep in mind that PSD injectors operate just like a bottle jack. Get a bunch of air bubbles in your bottle jack and you will pump a bunch but not lift very much.

As long as you stick with a diesel specific oil, you'll be fine.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will add this:

Cold Weather = Synthetic

If you see below 20 F then synthetic will help you start much easier. Last winter, my cord got unplugged and it was about 8 degrees out, and my truck would not start. The 15W-40 was like molasses and it would just not turn over fast enough to start. Plugged it in for about an hour, and it started right up. This year, it has been running synthetic, and I've not had any trouble getting it to start.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I always use Delo or Valvoline blue diesel 15w-40. Depends on which one is on sale. And I only use Motorcraft filters. I haven't used Rotella in almost a decade due to my engines drinking it, and it generally just sucking in my opinion.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Ford used to offer (maybe they still do?) an "extended oil/heavy duty service" engine oil additive. It was an anti foaming agent.
when I worked at Ford for few years,,they never had such...but they were a small dealer....

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all work your trucks much harder than I do. I just drive mine all sissyfied, occasionally hauling rented equipment from Home Depot, usually carrying fruit roll ups for the kiddos.

I run Rotella, non synthetic and read somewhere that the Shell tends to mist, and that is why it "drinks" it. Mine is just below the "add" mark at 5,000 when I change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online