Power ratings???????

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Check the post, a few days ago somebody posted the power ratings for all 6.9; 7.3; 7.3turbo; psd :puke:

ajd257

Reaction score
Where is this post? I would like to see it as well

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me what the difference with mine is. The valve cover says that it is 166 Hp not 180 or 185. Is it a high altitude version or something?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
norve8c9 said:
Can you guys tell me what the difference with mine is. The valve cover says that it is 166 Hp not 180 or 185. Is it a high altitude version or something?
Sounds like a high-altitude engine to me. Just turn the fuel up some :D (or, better yet, put a turbo on)

The high altitude engines have the fuel turned down, so they won't smoke as much in thinner air...a turbocharger makes that problem disappear, though... :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
norve8c9 said:
the valve cover sticker will have both ratings printed. the punchout at the top of the sticker is what determines the hp rating. But i have a secret for you.....it really doesn't mean a damn thing once you change out your injection pump. the pump calibration is what determines the hp. there is no difference in the rest of the motor.

DieselDon

Reaction score
There is in the 7.3 IDI turbo. They originally came with different pistons, rings, rods and stronger piston pins. Different head gaskets, exhaust valves, and oil cooler ( more fins per inch ) although these parts may now be being used by rebuilders. I've always recommended, if your 7.3 has an aftermarket turbo, rebuild with the 7.3 IDI turbo parts. They'll last longer.

The factory 7.3 IDI turbo was rated at 190 hp and 388 lbs/ft of torque. No altitude vs sealevel difference. The turbo at 5 to 8 psi boost was there more for smoke control than power. It did, however, prevent the rapid loss of power as you went up in altitude.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DieselDon said:
There is in the 7.3 IDI turbo. They originally came with different pistons, rings, rods and stronger piston pins. Different head gaskets, exhaust valves, and oil cooler ( more fins per inch ) although these parts may now be being used by rebuilders. I've always recommended, if your 7.3 has an aftermarket turbo, rebuild with the 7.3 IDI turbo parts. They'll last longer.

The factory 7.3 IDI turbo was rated at 190 hp and 388 lbs/ft of torque. No altitude vs sealevel difference. The turbo at 5 to 8 psi boost was there more for smoke control than power. It did, however, prevent the rapid loss of power as you went up in altitude.
don-
I stand corrected. I know that there is a difference in the turbo motor, but all I was doing was referring to the hp question on the NA motor. My next rebuild for my '92 will involve the turbo parts if any is still avail. then. From what I understand the rods are starting to get pretty hard to come by.

DieselDon

Reaction score
7.3 IDI Turbo rods

If the rods are getting scarce, the Turbo pistons and pins won't do you much good since they have a larger pin and the non-turbo rods won't work.