Possibly the stupidest idea I've had to date...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha

Anyone look at a modern 6.5 turbo lately?? Pull a valve cover on a hmmv and you know what fancy emblem is casted into the heads between the rockers??

NAVISTAR!!

That's right. IH cast the blocks and heads for "AM General" aka Detroit aka GM.

Next time I have to re seal on of those gems I'll snap a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha

Anyone look at a modern 6.5 turbo lately?? Pull a valve cover on a hmmv and you know what fancy emblem is casted into the heads between the rockers??

NAVISTAR!!

That's right. IH cast the blocks and heads for "AM General" aka Detroit aka GM.

Next time I have to re seal on of those gems I'll snap a picture.

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I "think" that's just the newer engines.
I'd have to double check though.
Still doesn't really mean anything meaningful. They cast cummins also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
The web cracking was solved but......IH makes the new blocks and heads? Sumbich.....Well, it was a thought that I fell asleep researching on.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never waste my time putting anything GM into a ford. both engines don't really make much power so I don't think your getting ahead with this GM transplant idea. I would like to see a 6.0 swap in one of these era trucks. my IDI runs great and always starts even in the cold. I do have a fair amount of work into it but its worth it. a friend of mine has a 2000 hummer H1 with the 6.5 and that thing is SLOW. by the way the turbo 6.5 has the same HP as a 7.3 N/A.

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/6.5-gm.html

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/7.3-idi.html

Last edited:

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I "think" that's just the newer engines.
I'd have to double check though.
Still doesn't really mean anything meaningful. They cast cummins also.

Itd have to be the newer ones. I don't ever remember seeing them dreaded diamonds when I worked on them in hmmwvs...

Really? Cummins aswell? Before long, They'll be the only one casting blocks and heads and thus have a "monopoly" type setting on the diesel engine scene.

But, After watching some youtube videos, the 506 casting which is the one thats supposedly improved having them diamonds, I think I'll keep the 6.9. Like I said, It was just a idea.
And really, since IH built both, would I really be putting a GM product in a ford or a ford in a ford?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's a guy on the GM forums that has a real hot 6.5. Specialized pump built by Mel. Hotter than anyone has here.
Also there's just as much aftermarket for the gm's as the ford's. Even Justin himself sells them.
Far as I can remember, it was the older cummins cast.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 6.5 chevy td with the mechanical pump, and it is a good rig. But the 6.9 and 7.3 engines are stronger and larger displacement, therefore naturally more power. I would personally be interested in seeing it done, but I also think fords need a ford engine, chevys need a chevy engine, dodges need to die.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which, Unlike International, GM actually improved their problems with the engine while after 20 years, International still can't build an engine worth a damn. If after that long you still have the same problem, You ARE the problem.
Lol...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I have contemplated a 6.2 turbo or 6.5 turbo with 700r tranny into a 2wd short bed ford. Probably a 25mpg+ truck. And I wouldn't tell anyone what i did.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the DS4 injection pump on a 6.5. Stick with the DB2.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Stay away from the DS4 injection pump on a 6.5. Stick with the DB2.

Given the cheap ******* I am, I was going to use the stanadyne pump I have now for it IF I was going to do it. But, I do think I got my chassis harness waterproof as long as the bumper end stays above water. I left it open for the harness to breathe. Looks good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Given the cheap ******* I am, I was going to use the stanadyne pump I have now for it IF I was going to do it. But, I do think I got my chassis harness waterproof as long as the bumper end stays above water. I left it open for the harness to breathe. Looks good.

Sad for us because out injection pumps rotate opposite direction the 6.2 and 6.5 pumps rotate. so we can'y run our pumps on the GM engines.
We did have a member that installed a 7.3 in his 88 Chevy crew-cab. It required some frame cutting on the passenger side for the exhaust log but it fit just the same. Your truck.... Your call....