Possibly the stupidest idea I've had to date...

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
With my 6.9 needing head work, blown headgasket, chunky rust all throughout block and heads, its time sat, needing a possible rebuild, etc...
After everything is done and its finished after all machine work, rebuild kit, studs, etc... its up around $3K mark...For an engine that can't build any real boost to save its life, and if it does, get ready to pay. Performance is "expensive" to gain.....

Instead of dealing with the headaches and expenses associated with this dinosaur, For the same price ford wants for a long block reman I can get a 6.5 and put it in. Which, Unlike International, GM actually improved their problems with the engine while after 20 years, International still can't build an engine worth a damn.:rolleyes: If after that long you still have the same problem, You ARE the problem. I like my headgaskets to be worry free without needing to spend $200 on a kit to do it...

I haven't done much research on it yet as it just came to me but why not? People are pulling these out and putting cummins in like crazy. While I'm sure cummins is good and all, I don't want an inline engine or sound like an egotistical dodge or have computers in this truck.

I know I would have engine mount and trans issues to go with this. Not electrical as, I have the engine harness, chassis harness, AND the body harness all out currently. I already planned on rebuilding the GP harness anyway.

And before anyone goes off on a rant about using gm to power a ford, I'm sorry that I'm not the only one who realized GM can actually build a decent powerplant while International can't. And I speak from experience on this. My life has depended on the 6.5 and has not once ever let me down. 10 seconds of GP and lights off. I have to hit the GPs twice in my 6.0 otherwise I'm there cranking for a minute and it only has 38K miles.

I think it can be done. Right now, I have a blank canvass. What is everyones thoughts?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 3200$ promar will ship you a reman long block 7.3 with 8 new sleeves and whatever goodies you provide them along with a 3 year warranty.

Just tossing that out there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel its your call. No need to worry what I think about what you do with your rig. After all its not mine.
So you ask for acceptance here or question the possibility of this being possible. Its sad to say I have no information on the 6.5 engines.Towcat does have extensive information on them. hope he chimes in on this. Best I can tell you is I think it was the 6.2 block that had issues with main webs cracking. No idea if that was still happening on the 6.5 blocks. What i do know is no main web ever cracked on any idi engines.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have to question if it will fit or not, you probably should not do the swap.
ive crammed great big engines in little tiny vehicles before, its all about your ability, not the physical characteristics.
anything can be done, and most likely has.
would I do it? NOPE

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my opinion .. is that they all have their own place ..

idi pros .. reliable .. simple .. inexpensive .. will run for many 100k of miles / cons .. expensive to get high hp .. best left stock or modest boost .. glow plug starting system problems

gm diesels .. lighter .. also simple .. inexpensive .. easier than idi to get more hp on a budget / cons .. usually need rebuilt after less then 200k .. cranks and internal parts can break .. i marvel at the rare occasion that i see one running .. my friend had one he tried to run pulling a lawn service trailer .. it was high milage but he hated it and sold it ..

cummins .. well i don't understand why these are the rage and people discount the idi .. expensive .. expensive parts .. weak power stock .. but .. can be built reliable for high hp .. if you want to spend big $$ .. many leak alot of oil out of the rear seals and heads ect .. another friend of mine had one of these also .. stock and it was a dog .. leaked out a qt of oil per week .. but it got slightly better fuel economy than my idi .. maybe close to 30 mpg .. it was easy on fuel ..

my truck .. i have to TRY to get good fuel economy .. if i lay into it .. it'll drop fast .. but the cummins .. you can leave the accelerator pedal on the floor .. it still won't be fast .. but doens't seem to drink much more fuel anyway ..

so yea .. they are all a different flavor ..

for me .. i'm value minded .. and prefer long term reliability .. don't care much about making it a race car .. easy to maintain .. thats why my choice is the idi ..

you can build a modest reliable motor for less than 3,000 ..

but if your emphasis is performance and lightweight motor then yea .. i would go to another of the gm or cummins platforms

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you might not have to worry about a headgasket replacement and a top end rebuild but your'e trading that for an engine know for having the crank fall out of the engine.

Doesn't seem like a fair trade :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*****.....this will be interesting

Your truck...do as you please....

Honestly you are going to do a whole ton of work fkr a craptacular engine w no where near the support for performance parts IMHO compared to a good 7.3

Seriously look at what Justin has going on at R&D or Mel at Conestoga or Russ for turbos cams etc....

Ya kinda like going backwards IMNSHO

JM7.3CW Eh?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put a 460 gas engine in it before I put the GM diesel in it. Gas is cheap now.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love threads that start with titles like this! LOL

Personally, I think you should put a 20B 3 rotor in it

...what?

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
International did build some great engines . It's called a dt360. You get more out of that for your money then any Chevy or idi v8 and it's alot cooler than a Cummings .

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 6.5 chevy td with the mechanical pump, and it is a good rig. But the 6.9 and 7.3 engines are stronger and larger displacement, therefore naturally more power. I would personally be interested in seeing it done, but I also think fords need a ford engine, chevys need a chevy engine, dodges need to die.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Decompress and stud, run ~25-30 lbs boost and 110CC's of fuel. Easy 300whp. With fresh heads and block you dont even need to mill the pistons, just run those decompression head gaskets.