Possible intake heater problem

chops85

Reaction score
I've got a buddy with an '03 crew cab DRW 2wd CTD. It starts fine when plugged in, but after sitting at a job site (he does construction work) it starts pretty hard. I've got all ford trucks so I don't know much about the grid heater system. Is there a fuse blown? Do these heaters burn out? I'm hoping I can go look at it tomorrow but Monday for sure. Any suggestions on what to check/look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
occasionally the heaters have problems but not very often. What outside temperature when this happens...These usually start pretty easy even with out the heaters working. I have had a truck once that had a leaky fuel injector that caused it to bleed too much fuel back to the tank so it had a long crank time when warm and when cold would barely start and required ether. Replaced one injector and it started good. OH and once started with the bad injector it ran fine.

chops85

Reaction score
It was the heater that was bad. The temperature was hovering around zero degrees when he was having problems. Replaced the heater and it starts like a champ.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to hear. Living here in California 0 degree start ups are not common unless you are out of the state. glad it is fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online