Possible head gasket issue?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
So I climbed under my truck to install a temp sensor for my trans and I noticed some coolant on my front drive shaft. I can't for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. There are no drips anywhere on the engine. I cleaned it off and took it for a drive and when I got back, there was more on the shaft. Still no clues on the engine. It seems like it would have to come from the back of the head at cylinder 8. I let the truck idle in the drive way for a long time and could not replicate the leak. I also revved it to about 2k for a min and still nothing. No drips on the cement, no milk in the oil, no oil in the coolant. Any other hints or possible leaky spots? Is this a tell tale sign of a head gasket?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IIRC, they're known to weep a little like that.

You sure it ain't the "water" pump?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the water pump is not capable of getting coolant to that spot but I will look. And really? Known to weep at the head gaskets?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had real good luck fixing small leaks like this with the gm stop leak pellets

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't suppose the coolant is seeping slowly past the block drain on the driver's side? Might only leak past the threads when the system is completely hot and under the most pressure - then disappear.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Like I said it's really hard to tell because there are no visible drips coming from the engine. All I can see is that it is on the drive shaft. It's a little farther back, almost next to the oil filter, but again, not dripping from the oil filter

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would add some UV dye to coolant, pressure wash off the engine really really good, let it dry.

Then fire up and go for a good hard run circulating that UV dye, then when you see that wet shaft LOL you can check it with a UV light and trace the leak UP from there!

JM2CW

Al

Dieselnoob

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing random spots of coolant on the driver side and it wouldn't always do it. Check the overflow the underside had alittle crack and would run down my driver side if I applied pressure.good luck

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing random spots of coolant on the driver side and it wouldn't always do it. Check the overflow the underside had alittle crack and would run down my driver side if I applied pressure.good luck

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle