Possible diesel down

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick background..supposed big storms Thanksgiving weekend..sev well sites I am involved with shut down leaving me stranded at job till this morn.My truck has been sitting for over a month without being started(in my new company truck) got dropped at my 1990 to take home to Ohio.8* outside.Ihit glowplugs twice,fired right up(amazing) however.White smoke.And it isnt going away after running for about 2 minutes.Am I freaking over nothing?I went ahead and caught a ride home and left truck there.Only thing I can think of to mention is it has 2 tanks of fuel that I removed from a military 5 ton that came with full tanks of high sulfer diesel(doesnt even smell same as we buy at pump).In warm weather it started REALLY nice on this fuel.Killed my inj pump?I have owned idi's for yrs but not in this cold of climate.Thanks. Wellused note..fuel was transferred to my tanks using a transfer pmp with filter.Should not be any water or dirt,5 ton tank was spotlessly clean that i took fuel from

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Wow, lucky. I'd love fuel like yours, and to run samples of it at a lab against the modern crap. 2 minutes really doesn't seem like a long time for it to warm up? I'd say you are freaking out over nothing. You have the fuel it was intended to run on (and should only run on sadly. screw this ulsd crap!). Most I can think is you have sticky injectors if it continues

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah; It was a little chilly this morning, only -3F at 8:00 this morning. Guess you were freaking out, only 2 minutes of running, hell man that was only condensation blowing out, warm it up for ten minutes. Probably lucky the fuel isn't gelled or maybe it is a little, dump a bottle of 911 in the tank.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt do a good job descibing the white smoke.It was unburned fuel smoke.Really thick and bright white almost....fogged the parking area.I left a set of keys with the rig mechanic.He's going to hook up a genset and run the block heater for me and see if it still does it(I am hrs away) if so,guess I will toiw it home and see what happened.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I let mine run a half hour before I left work this morning and it still had a bit of a haze to it.
X2 on the fuel. That engine was designed for high sulfur. It's probably a tad smoother and a smudge more power that this diesel garbage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you have something to do with the military because you have fuel taken from a tank. Not sure if your talking about an M1 Abrams or a fuel tank. But if its fuel designed for the M1 then its jet fuel which is dry.. No really lube in it for our engines. The 911 with a quart of atf will fix any sticky injecters or pump metering valves. At that temp I really think you did not allow enough run time for a problem to rear its ugly head.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Sounds like you have something to do with the military because you have fuel taken from a tank. Not sure if your talking about an M1 Abrams or a fuel tank. But if its fuel designed for the M1 then its jet fuel which is dry.. No really lube in it for our engines. The 911 with a quart of atf will fix any sticky injecters or pump metering valves. At that temp I really think you did not allow enough run time for a problem to rear its ugly head.

You need to re read the first post.

OP, I'd say your truck is fine. Might want to dump a good dose of white bottle power service in and let it run a little to keep fuel from gelling. 911 (red bottle) is just to re liquify gelled fuel, and has NO anti gel properties (read the bottle). It is also ******* your fuel system.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
two minutes hardly enough time get any heat in there....gotta get that suckka warmed up good and it's likely going to clear up tickity boo!

Ya can't even take a good dump in two minutes, who's gonna expect a cold diesel to run well in two minutes:rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya can't even take a good dump in two minutes, who's gonna expect a cold diesel to run well in two minutes:rotflmao
speak for yourself. with all the meds i'm on, a powerdump is the norm. I get worried if it doesn't happen these days.

to the OP, you need to run it longer. especially since it's been sitting cold this long. once you do get moving, do your truck a favor and winterize it.

gandalf

Reaction score
speak for yourself. with all the meds i'm on, a powerdump is the norm. I get worried if it doesn't happen these days.

to the OP, you need to run it longer. especially since it's been sitting cold this long. once you do get moving, do your truck a favor and winterize it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for that bit of information. Personally, I blame my meds and my coffee. Remember, Al, a good powerdump is almost as good as finding a good woman. Your time will come.

To the OP: let it idle longer for a good warm-up, and follow Towcat's advise to winterize the fuel system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:eek::rotflmaoPowerdump... I'm going to remember that term and hope I never use it.... Thanks for the laugh too Calvin.. As for the M1 fuel.. I did reread the first post and see what I glossed over. kind of silly looking back now at it but oh well. Seems many here feel your fine and just did not allow it to get warmed up.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a text from the mechanic.He said it fired right up and ran fine without the block heater being plugged in.I guess i kinda wigged a little.Never saw one roll white smoke like that before.I mean it really fogged the parking area.In my mind i thought shut it down as I felt that much unburned fuel could almost stack up cold and damage a head gskt or something.I know there isnt that much clearance in there.Thanks guys..guess I overreacted a bit.But I like this old truck so much,dont want to kill it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm it up Warm it up Warm it up. Thats what I said at -3 F this morning.

Think I'll cry, nobody listens to me anymore.:cry: I need a smoke.:smoke::smoke:

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also found out it was 3* not 8*.I know I have 1 glow plug not woking(harness conn) lucky it started..although it was loud at those temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk