Possible 6.2 project...need dimensions

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm cellar dweller on the Ford forums, but for this Isuzu Trooper project I'm liking the idea of using a 6.2. You can read about it in my thread in the "Diesel Conversions" section. If any of you could get me length, width and height dimensions on the 6.2 I'd be extremely grateful. I think this could really happen I just need to know if I'm going to have enough room to make it not a nightmare. This is the 2nd Gen 1996 Trooper so not as small as the early ones powered by 4 bangers, but not quite as big as a Full Size Blazer. Thanks again

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't fit. My brother has a buddy with a 350 in an izuzu pickup.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 350 V8 SBC? I hear the 6.2 shares similar dimensions. Have you seen any 6.2s in your browsings of craigslist and the local junkyards? I really need dimensions on the 6.2 to see how tight of a fit it's going to be.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Calvin. It has to fit in there, I just don't know if it's going to be a complete shoehorn or fit pretty nicely.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Calvin. It has to fit in there, I just don't know if it's going to be a complete shoehorn or fit pretty nicely.
use the early manifolds, they hug the block a little tighter. the 88-99 6.5's kick out at the ends and are space hogs. I had to get creative in getting a factory stock 6.5 turbo setup into a 83-87 chassis.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I hear that the early 83 6.2 engines were a good set and came painted red? I'm thinking that the place this swap could be trouble is overall engine length. Truck has plenty of room for the height of this engine and if it's tight a small lift would cure it. I saw engine length numbers for a SBC anywhere from around 24 to well over 30 inches depending on the version, and a range of 20.5-27 inches from valve cover to valve cover. The frame rails at the bottom of the engine compartment look pretty tight, I have a feeling when all the gasser stuff is out of the way, the area at the top of the engine will have a lot more room to play with.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a 400 dollar f150 and a. 6.9/7.3? You cab use stock ford parts andif anything breaks it can be replaced with stock parts. No customization or worrying about custom parts.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be okay, but I really want to do something with this Trooper, it's here, and it seems like a really nice vehicle.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time ur down this way you should take a look at the izuzu truck here with a 350.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dimensions I'm seeing make this seem like a doable project, it has to be if people have put 351 V8s in a ranger or a SBC in an S10. Maybe it's more of a challenge than I think though. Height wise it's looking good, width at the valve covers it might be tight. I guess I just really need to find one of these to measure or if one of you guys that have one would be so kind as to measure I'd appreciate it. This vehicle is not a DD in fact it's just sitting now so it being more involved than just a drop in is by no means a dealbreaker it just has to be possible and not massively expensive.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Have a diesel in an '80s blazer, and a 350 in a '75 1/2 ton, diesel looks bigger, I could measure it, but SBC is a small V8, ford 302 is straight up tiny, the mounting is the same for the 6.2 and the SBC.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
6.2/6.5 is smaller than a BBC, may be slightly bigger than a SBC. If I have time I'll measure one when I get to the shop tomorrow. They do weigh more than a SBC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online