popped a cherry bomb on my 302

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
i popped off my old muffler and put a cherry bomb on my '74 f100 with a stock 302 2 barrel carb. i didnt really realize how much of a difference it made in sound. i hacked the old muffler off right behind the clamp cause they welded it, put the cherry bomb on and a piece of tail pipe that exits out the side, goes back about another foot then out. sounds really good and clean at idle, and when you get on it its loud. i also didnt think it would make that much of a difference in performance, but it helped quite a bit. before at about 4k rpm i would stop gaining speed very fast, but now i can go all the way to 5k before it falls off. go 40 in 1st gear slam 2nd it chirps the tires and skids to the side and next thing you know your goin about 55-60 and when you hit 3rd it has a slight chirp, then it pretty much dies off at about 80 cause i got a 3 on the tree and the final drive is tall on 3rd, dont really have much carb left either. but anyhow long story short, if your looking into a cheap muffler that gives a good idle and better flow, i dont think ya can beat a cherry bomb. i pulled this one of a '73 chevy it was used and old but i have been told they sound better as they get older.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
they sound better due to the fact the sound deadening inside them burns out. this now becomes a straight pipe....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
they sound better due to the fact the sound deadening inside them burns out. this now becomes a straight pipe....

Yep, but the louvers are still there.
On new ones, you can pour gas in and light it. It'll burn out the packing.
Heard you can use oil and just put it on, but haven't tried that method.

Had a 81 F150 Eclb with a "HO" 302/aid, put long tube headers and dual exhaust with the longest cherry bombs summit sold, thing sounded great and straight up hauled.
Rear tires didn't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online