Popped a cap

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My van started making a ticking noise and blowing a little extra smoke out the tail pipe. Then it got worse and started to run very warm and sounded like it had an air leak. When I pulled over to check under the hood I was greeted with a haze. I let it cool down and proceeded to head to my destination 150 miles down the road. Move forward to today I pulled the dog house back, attempted to start the engine when I heard the "air leak" and found a fuel everywhere around the #8 injector. Kinda looks like the return line became clogged so there was a new hole created spewing fuel everywhere.

I think I need a new injector and cap but the guys at the parts stores are saying if I replace one I need to replace them all.

What are the risks of just replacing one injector?

BTW, the injector is made by United Technologies and has a date of 5/84. I don't know if they were stock or re-manufactured but it was interesting to see that the injectors are almost 30 years old.

Attachments

• 1314558641653.jpg
    1314558641653.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 46

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
you have a bad injector which is letting combustion gases into the return which melted the cap.

Change the set, new return caps and lines if you haven't. Drive for another 30 years.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a testament to how much abuse one of these trucks can take.
your injector TIP is awol. you were getting combustion gasses in the range of 300-400 psi pusing through your return system. the hot gasses killed the cap. in all due seriousness, you need a pump, injectors and return line kit.
you could gamble on just a injector and return line cap, but be prepared for poor results.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reckon the tip could have fallen down into the combustion chamber? If so couldn't that cause damage to the piston or the cylinder wall?

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

After reading about the AWOL injector tip I went back to the scene of the crime and found it at the bottom of the injector shaft. So I will get a pair of needle nose pliers and see if I can't pull the remaining parts out of there.

There isn't very much room in there to work with pliers so was pondering the merits of using a magnet to pull out the pieces. What kind of materials is the lower parts made of? Would a magnet work?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... A magnet will work but... Some duct tape on the end of a screw driver will for sure pick up any trash thats in the injector bore. Now the costly message... you really need a set of new Bb code injectors.Not some rebuilt or G codes. nothing else will give you better hp or mileage. The pump is another tiem you are reallyinneed of along with the return line kit. For now just buy a set of new Bb codes. Install the one with a new return line cap and test run it knowing full well you are going to be replacing the rest of the fuel system. From the looks of the burned return line cap they have been replaced before....:sly

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did replace the caps and return lines when I replaced the head gaskets last year. It just looked like the injectors were original because of the mfg date of 5-84. I have started shopping around for injectors. just thankful I don't have a power stroke. Happy happy joy joy. :/

Last edited:

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to get all the parts including the old copper washer.
If you can't get the nozzle cap out, grind the threads off of the injector body. Then screw the injector back together and you should be able to get the whole thing out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with International and they have a new injector on the shelf waiting for me. Interesting thing was when I asked about Bb code injector, they told me that International only made one mechanical injector for the 6.9 and 7.3 engine. The code issue was with other manufacturers. I look forward to getting on the road today. Thanks guys for your input.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That International parts guy was full of it. The first codes were A. Then B. Then BB and so on till the G codes came out. those were for the turbo equipted trucks. They had a higher pop pressure and were really only an immissions injector.Proformance drops when you run those G codes. I ran them for years thinking I was hot stuff. Then I bought a set of BB from russ.... What a world of differance. You guys will never know the differance till you try the BB compared to the G codes... But why get a set of injectors that are terrible. Way to many members here have found out what a Good set of pop tested BB codes will do for your engine.

Last edited:

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That International parts guy was full of it. The first codes were V. Then B. Then BB and so on till the G codes came out. those were for the turbo equipted trucks.

In my best Ed McMayon voice "Yes". When I went in to get the part an older man corrected the younger guy and said that I needed B injectors. One will work for now but to give some consideration to swapping all of them seeing how bad this one was.

I have most of the old injector out now and am cleaning the bore before I drop the new one in.

Question though. How do I keep the copper washer on as the injector slides down the bore?