polishing intake and heads

gatorman21218

Reaction score
is this worth doing? I'm not really looking at porting but just to smooth the casting. what do I use to do this a dremel?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could help, not much though from what i've heard. Up to you if its worth the time and effort.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cleaning up the exhaust port helps plenty. Just place an exhaust manifold gasket on the head to see how much can be cleaned up. Carefully match the gasket by the smaller bolt hole in it to the head. Try it both directions for the best fit. There is lots thats able to be removed. Inside the port on the curve area just after the stellite seat has a sharp turn that should be smoothed out. Make it a longer curve. I use a Makita grinder and a large egg shape burr. The back side of the burr is great for reaching the curve from the seat or the port exit to the exhaust manifold. Be carefull around the seat. Mess that up and your replacing it. Then some cone or barrle sanding rolls in 80 & 120 grit. Then some scotchbrite discs like this....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220719742432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok what about the intake manifold? I got that right now and the heads are at the shop so cant mess with them.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I did heads and intake. Wont know how it works till the headstuds and gaskets get here. On the intake I just cleaned the rough castings right before the air enters the head

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin