PM Question About Olives

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A new member contacted me about the injection pump feed line olives asking questions about them. I felt I needed to talk about this line and the seals called olives. The most important item about these brass fitting that have the rubber olives in them is the fit. When you have the line off the engine you will see a flair on the end. Thats really not to keep the olive on the line. Its there to fit deep in the female brass fitting and center the line. Then the nut and the olive connects to the threaded fitting and its snugged up. no need to tighten it till it wont turn any longer. What your doing it applying enough pressure on the fitting to force the olive to touch the female fitting and snug up on the 5/16 inch line to create a seal. This fitting is a vibration reducing fitting design. Look at the other end of the filter housing. That 3/8 inch feed from the tanks thru the lift pump has just one olive at the filter head but nothing at the mechanical lift pump. At the pump is a fitting with a cut seat in it. Kind of like any other compression fitting. I don't know the angle the seats are cut but its probably 37 degrees or so. The olives are available thru typ4 aka Russ in Oregon or agnem aka Mel who owns conestoga Diesel Injection in Pa. Or most good injection pump repair shops. Also someone posted here that McMaster Carr has them but I have no part number for that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The industry term for these are "fuel line sleeves" and they come in various fractional sizes. They are extremely common in almost every diesel engine on the road. They are used universally in low pressure fuel supply systems. We call them olives. Why... I don't know, but every time I go to the salad bar and put some black olives on my salad that have been cut, they sure do look like fuel line sleeves. I've yet to have them improve the taste of diesel fuel though. We sell them in packs of 10 for about $10.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
international dealers across the USA have them as well there about $3.00ea so if need them in a hurry. not to take the sales away from mel or russ just letting you know.