Please Help Me Put IDI In Place Of A 'Stroke

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 F-350 was Powerstroke.

Just today picked up my 1994 7.3 IDI turbo and transmission behind it, modules, harness and all.

The connector for the firewall looks identical.

Can I just plug it in or do I need to know something about incompatibilities????

Please help me! I want major progress tomorrow.

-ultra

P.S. Will have Powerstroke parts for sale later.

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** arent they comepletely different? you can probaly get it to work but its just not gonna plug right in.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***? That's some way to answer a request for help.

They are far from completely different. I am telling you, the plug looks the same. I'll have to count pins or something tomorrow.

The exhaust appears to connect in the same place at the tranny, I have the whole harness, relay box, module, cables, hoses, etc...

What could be so difficult? The engine mounts are the same, the tranny is the same mounting...

Completely different, NO.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I honestly dont think anyone would know for sure if you can or not. I've heard talk of it, but havent ever seen an IDI swapped into a PSD's spot (FYI, even though I love my IDI and all the stuff it throws at me, I wouldnt go through the hassle of swapping it in place of a PSD....). Just try it, whats the worst that can happen (electrical fire ? :dunno-cuss)

Other than that, it should be fairly straight forward. Still dont see the exact reasoning unless you had an IDI sitting around and the PSD took a major dump on you (ie windowed the block or something)

Good luck ;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you have everything from the IDI it should be easy.... OK maybe not easy but doable... I would think the dash stuff might need to change. Or at least change the plug through the firewall. I might need some PSD stuff and may have IDI stuff if you need it?

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the body style is the same.

PSD has a huge ridge in one cylinder and with a 5 grand rebuild pricetag, well I went with the $700 IDI turbo with rebuilt tranny.

ALL wiring up to the firewall is present. The only thing I will have to locate that I am sure of is a throttle cable (which was cut).

I am going to replace valve cover gaskets. Pressure washed today and will do again tomorrow. Might do glow plugs too. Have one crack in exhaust pipe to repair (weld) also.

PSD is not all it's cracked up to be IMHO. It's got power but at a cost of greater complexity and well, greater cost. Shoulda lasted WELL more than 294,000 and not had so many replaced injectors or one shot cylinder either.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
With the IDI motor mounts it should physically drop right in.
I imagine you'll need an older style throttle cable and possibly the pedal assembly from an IDI. Unless that tranny is identical to what came out, don't count on those pins in a harness plug doing the same things, you might fry something :eek: Probably have to rig your own harness for the tranny module.
dash is probably a no go all around. Either custom rig or try to find an IDI dash cluster from a '92-94
Engine wiring to get it to run will be straight forward, only need the glow plug trigger wire, hot from th estart solenoid and a couple of others, search down the threads a few pages, I just posted the engine wiring diagram yesterday for the guy stuffing one in a scout.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wicked!!!

This is what I am looking for.

Why are there so many sensors such as TPS? To give info to the module about the engine conditions regarding transmission shifting?

Not sure about the dash stuff. Have to visit a j-yard.

The tranny module and wiring is all there man. I can drop it in as a unit.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is what I am looking for.

Why are there so many sensors such as TPS? To give info to the module about the engine conditions regarding transmission shifting?

Not sure about the dash stuff. Have to visit a j-yard.

The tranny module and wiring is all there man. I can drop it in as a unit.

So many sensors??? Hardly any on that thing. The one on the throttle is to tell the tranny when to shift since there's no engine vacuum to trigger it.
only other sensor is the temp sensor on the pass side head near the front that tells the fast idle and advance to kick in when cold. Other than that all you have is the tach sender in the front IP gear housing, oil press sender at the rear , and two water temp senders in the drivers head at the front, one for the over temp warning light and one for the gauge. All pretty straight forward

If you have all the wiring for the tranny, you're in business. JUst ignore the rest of the stuff under the hood and wire up the engine as per that diagram and you should be good to go.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think there are more sensors than that but you have covered them pretty well. There is an oil (pressure?) sensor on the turbo also. 2(?) sensors on the fuel filter.

This isn't the exact diagram as mine is a 1994 turbo but it certainly leads me in a direction.

Gauges and idiot lights in combination are great! Nuthin' better.

Didn't know that was a tach sender BTW. I don't believe I have a tach at the moment but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've sat in it. I've been enjoying my Cummins 12V.

What input does the tranny need? TPS only?

Those diagrams are the bomb. Got more?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the TPS don't feed the tranny directly, it feeds the ECM for the tranny, which in its turn communicates with the tranny through this big fat harness. It ain't like vacuum-regulated transmissions where you only hook up the vacuum line and you're good to go.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ok. I think there are more sensors than that but you have covered them pretty well. There is an oil (pressure?) sensor on the turbo also. 2(?) sensors on the fuel filter.

This isn't the exact diagram as mine is a 1994 turbo but it certainly leads me in a direction.

Gauges and idiot lights in combination are great! Nuthin' better.

Didn't know that was a tach sender BTW. I don't believe I have a tach at the moment but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've sat in it. I've been enjoying my Cummins 12V.

What input does the tranny need? TPS only?

Those diagrams are the bomb. Got more?

Oops, forgot about the fuel filter restriction sensor and water in fuel sensor ( on bottom of filter ) The little odd looking rubber cap on the filter housing is the fuel heater.

If you have the oil pressure sender on top of the turbo, then you don't have one at the back of the block
Maybe these will help too

Attachments

• Chassis wiring eng compartment.gif
    Chassis wiring eng compartment.gif
    110.7 KB · Views: 15
  • GP controller.JPG
    GP controller.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 11