Plans, Pictures and/or Ideas for a homebrew front bumper?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well, my next big project in to fabricate a front push style bumper for the truck, maybe with a winch mount.

I've been wanting to get a welder for a while and since I already need to weld in the mount for the thermocouple, I say what the heck! I'm going to hit the pawn shops tomorrow for a wire welder.

In any case I'd love to see the bumpers, plans pictures whatever. I want something beefy and easy to make for a newb welder.

Thought onna yaz might have done something like this...

DarkwingDork

Reaction score
I look forward to the pictures...I've wanted to build one for awhile now. Now all I need is time to swap cabs and paint...then more money :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's a couple of what you are looking for over at pirate 4x4 forums.
Keep in mind if you are planning on using a wire welder for something that heavy you are going to need a real stout welder. I love my Hobart handler 120 mig, but it's not very well suited for heavy stock. It can be done, but usually take multiple passes.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I was seriously considering using a piece of railroad rail for mine, a while back. At 132lbs per yard, it would have weighed-in at around 250lbs. Too bad the railroad scrapped the rail I was going to use for it... But I'm sure I can find more!!

Gary

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIG is for the little stuff that the stick burns holes in.

For the big stuff, use a stick welder for it's deeper penetration.

Why do you need a welder for the thermo-couple ??

All you need for installing a pyrometer probe is a drill-bit and either a 1/8- or 1/4-NPT tap; you don't want to go welding on the manifold; just drill/tap it and screw the probe in.

If you are putting the probe anywhere besides the manifold, then you may as well not have one at all.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am going to put my EGT in my front bumper with my soldering pencil:rotflmao sorry i couldent resist

any pics of front bumpers, i would like to see them to. i got a 110 wire welder and 220 stick ready to go.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
If I can get hold of a digital camera I'll get some pics of a bumper that came on one of my FIL's trucks. Now this truck is a 95 but I see no reason you couldn't adapt it to yours. Some will say it's ugly but I like it, and I know it has stood up to the impact of at least two feral hogs. That was with my BIL driving and he thinks he is in the Indy 500 whenever he is driving.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Think I can jin up a frame out of tubular 1/4", then skin it with 1/4" plate or 3/16" or something - I just want something beefy up front to take out the MZB's :)

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My Lincoln stick welder did a great job on my 1/4" plate motor mounts (well, I helped too!) and they don't cost too much, mine was $25 at a yard sale!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If you bevel the edges and keep the wire in the puddle a MIGPAK-10 will weld 1/4" steel no problem in one pass....Moving slowly is the key to keep the heat up.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not real simple but a bumper i thought was real cool

Attachments

• CIMG1562.JPG
    CIMG1562.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG1563.JPG
    CIMG1563.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CIMG1564.JPG