Picture request...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good picture of the throttle cable mounting and all the correct springs mounted on the IP?

The throttle is wanting to stick, but I'm not 100% sure we have everything and hooked up properly. The PO has done some interesting things so nothing would surprise me...

I've looked on here, but didn't find any good pictures of the throttle area......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C6 style:
You must be registered for see images attach

Conventional style:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Wes!!!!!! @Thewespaul

OK, Mine is a C-6, so I should have the spring on the throttle cable itself, and the one up high, almost above the pump. The ones going down the side, like in the other picrures are not used on a C-6, correct?

I've always heard Gary @icanfixall refer to us having 2 springs. SO I want to make sure I have mine set up right before condeming the throttle cable. I will go out and look at it when it gets back. I don't remember seeing the big spring up top.... but the area around the pump is crowded with the Hypermax turbo Air Cleaner setup........ I'll snap a few pictures for comparison.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct, C6 uses the top spring mount instead of the lower, supposedly to help the kickdown linkage (make sure that moves freely and isn’t causing the issue)
I believe the 2 spring reference is the one on top like you said and then the one integrated into the throttle cable itself

gandalf

Reaction score
I found a picture of my '86 with a C-6. I cropped to what I think you want. I see two springs, though I'm not real sure they are both on the throttle cable. I'll let you decide that. That '86 did have a Banks turbo, square box, if it matters.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again fellas.....

I still haven't had a chance to look yet, the truck hasn't made it home yet........ LOL

JC4440

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread . Just wondering how you start a thread?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the home page of this sub forum, up toward the top, toward the right hand side of the screen, there's a blue box that says "Start A Thread", click on that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Actually, the spring that hooks to the fast idle solenoid bracket is two springs put together, unless one's missing. So counting the one on the throttle cable, we have three. Now I don't remember for sure, but I believe that even the ones with the C6 are supposed to have the "lower springs" too. I thought that the "upper" one was to make sure that the kickdown linkage came back forward when you let off of the throttle.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Go the the main forum page. Click on the subsection you want, like the 6.7/7.3 IDI section.

When looking at the list of threads, in the upper right side, there is a button that says "Post New Thread"

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your throttle cable end closely. The red plastic bit cracks and will cause the spring to get hung up. At that point you either replace the cable or I’ve heard people say you can break part of the plastic out so it doesn’t bind anymore.

If I were to guess, this is your problem.

Edit: thought I had a picture of mine.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that when in doubt, replace the cable, these things get beat.
I have always found 2 springs from the accerrelator lever to the high idle solenoid bracket on every running IDI ive had here.
no matter the trans.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So I do need the upper and lower, and the one on the throttle cable? We have the one on the cable, and the one up high. Son said he didn't notice a lower one. I need to look today.....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen one with both upper and lower, seems like it would make for a really stiff throttle pedal, the throttle will return with just the integrated spring in the cable if everything is moving properly

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen one with both upper and lower, seems like it would make for a really stiff throttle pedal, the throttle will return with just the integrated spring in the cable if everything is moving properly
This. The point of the picture is to show the busted plastic can cause the cable to want to hang up regardless of springs. I don’t think mine has the extra spring currently. I don’t think it had one to start with. I bought a new extra return spring but had a hard time positioning it where it didn’t bind up. I’ll try again thanks to these pictures.