Permanent solution for eliminating fuel heater

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, it's been a few weeks. I decided to start cheap and try JB-Weld. I hadn't used the stuff since High School. I always associated JB-Weld as a Mickey-mouse way of fixing things, but I've had a slight change of heart after this fuel heater issue. A couple members mentioned they'd used JB to fix their heaters, and figuring there's only 7psi in the filter head, and the leak was extremely small, more just a damp spot than anything, it was worth a shot.

Results: Success, so far

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I used an epoxy of some sort, it worked well to. I live in Canada and see some cold mornings, never had an issue without the heater; knock on wood.

If it ever decides to leak again I will be putting on a 6.9 filter head and be done with this heater b.s. And then find a way to splice in a water seperator and maybe an aftermarket heater that I will on use during the coldest months.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you didn't remove the heater and just fill the hole in the top....:dunno May have done a nicer job if you had removed the element first instead of trying to cover up the electrical connection... Just my thoughts. I like nice looking just as much as the next guy but practical works too....:angel:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
This heater has leaked and leaked since I've owned the truck. Replacing o-rings with new only cured it for a couple of weeks each time, then it would start leaking again. Considering I'm the only one that ever looks under the hood, pretty wasn't high on the list. It just needed to work. I can finally run the AC on fresh air and not fill the cab with diesel smell.

I've owned a bunch of 7.3L IDI's through the years, and never had the heater leak. This one seems to have a curse on it

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled mine out and tapped it with a 1/2'' NPT tap then threaded in a spare hex head pipe plug and used jb weld. All is good and no leaks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not used JB Weld, but have seen it used. I always thought it had its place.

A member on another forum the I belong to calls it JB can't Weld, but he is a welder, blacksmith, "metalsmith" and thinks if you want a weld, do it the right way.... it is a running joke on that site.....