Performed my first 7.3 IP replacement....

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at work! We are kinda slow right now so we are taking in some odd work.(beings were a CAT dealer). So my boss tells me one of our good clients is sending us their service truck to put a injection pump on. Well it shows up and i'm like "that sounds awefully familiar". Sure enough it was an F350 4x4 with a 7.3 idi auto tranny. Nice looking service truck. The reman pump on it was leaking so they wanted it replaced and my boss told me i had four hours to do so. I have to say, at home, i couldn't do it in four hours. But having everything right there it was a piece of cake. I just printed and followed the article in the tech forum. Super helpful as this was my first and it went great. Truck runs great. No leaks and it runs much smoother.
Oh and btw. The Bratton International dealer in Eugene is where we got the pump. ITS A CAT REMAN PUMP! CAT part number and everyting. Guess i know where to get mine. Price was good too, about 430 bones.
So sorry the the long post, but major kudos the writer of the tech article. It was super simple and very helpful. I literally couldn't have done it without this forum.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
buddy of mine got one from the IH dealer he worked at here in pa. also had CAT reman on it. figure that. IH and cat have been all touchy touchy recently.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buddy of mine got one from the IH dealer he worked at here in pa. also had CAT reman on it. figure that. IH and cat have been all touchy touchy recently.

Isn't Navistar making engines for CAT now that CAT is out of the highway diesel market? Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe that's it :dunno.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. Navistart is using the C-15 block, rotating assembly, and head. Basically the tried and true C-15. What Navistar is doing is the EGR system. CAT used whats called a CGI system on their latest emissions engines because they wanted to stay away from the EGR. However, emissions regulations keep changing and they finally called it quits. It costs unreal amounts of money to design an emissions complient engine. So CAT is now going to be marketing Vocational trucks (dumptrucks, chassis trucks, water trucks,off highway) in the CAT name, but they will be equipped with the new CAT/Navistar engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online