performance module

fordzilla

Reaction score
What is the best performance module in which I do not have to worry about damaging the engine or driveline. Has anyone heard or used the Banks modules? I have an '05 excursion 6.0L. Thanks for any help.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without damagine the engine or diveline? Well, by adding power, you will be shortening the life of the drivetrain. More power=More stress.... I would think the same applies to the engine, but i can not comment on how many miles it may take away.

I have heard of the banks stuff, never seen it or used it. I know Ts Performance has a good box, I have that one. Edge Products has a box and the attitude may be done for it, but they were having trouble. Quadzilla has a few boxes out, and I am unfamiliar, Bully Dog has the toque dog, and dyno dominator, one low power and one high power. Rumor has it they have a downloader maybe coming out.. Hyper tech has a chip most are happy with... and many others...

Your best bet is to run a low power module... It will be less stressful on everything. But the main component to being ******* your engine and drivetrain is your right foot.

Are you towing? or just wanna be a little faster....

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
There are several different modules..to which on is the best?? It's all going to depend on what your looking for in a Module?? TS Performance (a sponcer on this board) makes a nice module, One of the Site Administrators is testing it right now. (Username: ISurvivedNMU) And should have some feedback before long.. As far as the banks Module....I've haven't heard any feed back on it yet??

On Edit:

I typed this apparently at the same time as the posted above me did??:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, our trucks are capable of making more power and torque than shipped from the factory without compromising the engine or drivetrain. How much more? Thats a very good question. Some guys are laying down serious numbers and those guys will definetly shorten the life of the engine/drivetrain. TS does make a great module for the 6.0's and even on the performance setting I dont think you are going to significantly shorten the life of the vehicle. One thing to remember, its all controlled by the fool behind the wheel. The extra HP is great to have when you need it, that doesnt mean you have to drive with the accelerator pegged every time you twist the key. Install ANY of the boxes or modules/chips and drive responsibly and you'll enjoy many miles of trouble free driving. Once again, this is just my humble opinion.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you drive your vehicle hard, I would recommend a 125 or lower.
If you are not one to beat on your truck, the 160 is the one.
I feel that the 160 in the wrong hands will destroy the transmission and possibly the drivelines. TOO much power to be driven hard.

I have used the Quadzilla 115, 125 and two different 160 modules. They keep getting better. I have a new Quad 160 design on the way when Quad releases them. I can't wait.

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Another box out there that I am currently beta testing is the Eliminator from SP Diesel. (www.spdiesel.com)
Compares nicely to the Edge that I was using. Gives you the power earlier than Edge. An independent company was suppose to dyno the box on Friday - haven't heard the numbers yet so can't give an HP report.

On another note: is there a sponsors list somewhere that I can't find? If SP Diesel isn't on it - I'll send them a note to inform them about OB.

Ron

Kyle Graham

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I talked to Stan at Quadzilla today and the xzillaraider is coming soon available in 110 and 160hp if this is anything like the xzilla for the dodges which I sell at least five of them everyday you guys are gonna love this box. I will post when they are available.
Retail is 449.00 for the 110hp and the 160 will be 549.00 my price will be discounted.

Bear Hunter

RLTW!
Reaction score
I'm selling my SCMT 1704 Version 5.03 (works with the latest flashes) $300.00 plus shipping. If anyone is interested just shoot me an email.

Weweld

Reaction score
fordzilla said:
What is the best performance module in which I do not have to worry about damaging the engine or driveline. Has anyone heard or used the Banks modules? I have an '05 excursion 6.0L. Thanks for any help.

The SCT is a great box also , it has the best trans shifting of all the boxes we have tried and that is very important if you want to add more power.
I have the SCT in our Red Racer which is an 04 Reg cab Shortbed 2WD.

GENE

tgatch

Reaction score
I have the street Xzillaraider in my truck. It has 30, 60, and 120 HP settings. I was a beta tester and have had it now for a few months. All seems to be good. I had some problems with my EGR, VGT and EBP, but I had these problems before too. Truck was stock when I had the problems before so I doubt the Quad box had anything to do with it.

I can tell you that the 120 HP setting is impressive. I really need to get gauges, but one of the other Beta testers said the 30HP setting had cooler EGTs than stock. 60 HP is on par with stock.

Quad willingly admits that he sacrifices a little power on the top end by pulling the timing back to keep the cylinder pressures down. One thing I have never heard from any Quad owners is a coolant puking problem.

The SCTs are nice, but make sure you explain to the programmer what you want. The SCTs are running shift points up at around 4300RPMs. That kind of scares me, but there seems to be a lot of guys that are having good luck with them. They do directly deal with the transmission so that is a big plus on their side. The programmer can put the shift points into your comfort level if you tell them that is what you want.

The SCMT is producing good power, but it likes to shift in the 4,000+ range too.

I have not worked with TS boxes, but they do work with the Trans to keep shifting good with the power.

Banks has a long time solid reputation.

I'd say that if you aren't gonna beat on the truck the lower power modules will do you good. By lower power I mean 125 or less. If you can really behave, the 160 and 165 modules are solid, but Quad has stated that his 160 module is right at the ragged edge of what the Torqshift can handle.

Last edited:

Weweld

Reaction score
We had to lower the shift points in our SCT to 3800 rpm and it ran a faster 1/4 mile time. I think they are to high also.

GENE

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
First,
my compliments !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some "other" sites, this subject would have turned into a WAR already !!! Good on you posters !!!!!!!!!

as many boxes/programmers/etc.. there are -
as many opinions you will get....

1) go ride with people that have what you are interested in... or
2) get one from someone that has a 30 day return policy

that way YOU can see what you want....

ANYTHING is betta than stock except that
you won't ever want to go back to stock when you can add 100 REAR WHEEL HP so cheaply and quickly !!!

get SOMETHING soon - you'll love it...
I've had one for over two years now and while it has a high hp setting.... 99.9% of the time it is in the mid setting where it gives a SERIOUS boost to take care of all the ricers and wanna-be's but still helps the mpg !!!!!!!!!!!!

tgatch

Reaction score
Weweld said:
We had to lower the shift points in our SCT to 3800 rpm and it ran a faster 1/4 mile time. I think they are to high also.

GENE

Funny you should say that. I see that the New Extreme tune From Innovative diesel with the TC lockup shifts at 3800RPMs.

I've often wondered how good it is to run these 6.0's to the 4200RPM redline.

I would not have bought a Chip if Ford had made the 4.1 rear end available with the SRW 350's. :( Maybe the other side is Ford can give me a lockout for OD so I can lock it in Direct with the TC locked up when I want it to be. Being that I tow 12,000+ lbs in rolling hills at 60 MPH that would help me greatly. That would have me at 2300RPMs with the TC locked up, plenty of torque and HP at the RPM to provide me climbing power.

I seriously thought about ordering an SCT to give me the control over the Trans that I listed above. Talked to Tadd @ then Rocky Mountain Diesel, now ATS, he told me that he could provide that tune for me if that is what I wanted. Might still go that route in the future.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
fordzilla,

We have had the best overall tranny/HP controls with the Bully Dog Power Pup and Outlook Monitor. Endless power level controls, gauge package, EGT defueling, tranny options from stock to super hard shifting etc etc. Plus you can get the Outlook to display nearly anything the PCM has available from the OBDII port. Plus the price is very reasonable. Call us if you have any questions, if Bully Dog isn't for you we also have the Superchip, Predators, Edge and van Aaken. The real key is how are you going to use the truck, and are you planning exhaust and intake and gauges etc. If you're going to race it nothing will save the tranny and or engine from potential damage, if you drive like a sane person and use it as a truck there are lots of options to consider and that's what we will help you with.

Mark @ DPPI