Pay/Load Suspension question....?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's...loaded the bed of my F250 with some busted up concrete today. Loaded, the rear suspension/bumper went down 4" !!!
Think it's ok, or to much weight in the back and stress on the springs/axle :confused: ?

I have to dump the load tomorrow local, only a few miles...but for tonight I jacked up ^ the rear 4" and wedged a 4x4 from the ground up under the tow hitch...so the springs don't have the load on them all night.
Think I'm good to go?

Thanks for any feedback...

Last edited:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm.. how much did it weigh? What's the payload capacity of your F-250?

If you're within your weight limit, I'd invest in a set of airbags or overload springs to keep your truck from getting Chevrolet disease--a condition in which the rear end of the truck squats anytime you put any sort of load on it... commonly seen with S-10s hauling more than one ream of paper in the bed or fullsize Chevy trucks with more than 200 pounds in the bed.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Hey guy's...loaded the bed of my F250 with some busted up concrete today. Loaded, the rear suspension/bumper went down 4" !!!
Think it's ok, or to much weight in the back and stress on the springs/axle :confused: ?

I have to dump the load tomorrow local, only a few miles...but for tonight I jacked up ^ the rear 4" and wedged a 4x4 from the ground up under the tow hitch...so the springs don't have the load on them all night.
Think I'm good to go?

4" isn't really all that far considering it'll drop about 2" before you start using all your springs you"ll be fine the truck will handle it just remember common sense take bumps slower longer stopping distance you'll be fine ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
4" isn't really all that far considering it'll drop about 2" before you start using all your springs you"ll be fine the truck will handle it just remember common sense take bumps slower longer stopping distance you'll be fine ;Sweet
thanks for the reply I thought I might be ok but ya know cookoo ...this is actually the second time since 1988 my truck has ever really worked.
To Mikes91...no bags or extra spring for me. Heck it will be another 15 years befor this truck does any work...it's a pampered cream puff. ;Sweet

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
When your front wheels start lifting off the ground then you know the truck is loaded. It sounds like you shouldn't have any problem you really need to look at how much space is between the bump stops and axle tubes.

I had my trucks 2000-3000lbs over gvw with no problems had that weight sitting over night on the truck.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Buddy of mine with a F-250 and some good overload springs took 2.3 tons of scrap metal in one day... We were just tossing it in... it adds up fast :eek:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All kinds of space/room at the rear bump stops...just not ust to seeing her squated down that much...thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray, you'll be fine. Ford even told us they expect people to overload them, and build them accordingly. I doubt your overloaded, but if you are, your still OK. Just watch your stopping distances.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
You should have seen some of the loads of tamarack and red fir we put on my dad's '77 F-250! :eek: A cord and a half on a truck is a lot of weight. And those types of trees are very dense and heavy. We drove many times out of the Idaho Rockies with the overloads maxed out and sometimes riding on the bump stops. Overnight wouldn't hurt the springs. Several months or loaded constantly might/would cause sag over time.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ray,

When the bumper hits the ground your ready to go is my motto... Keep loading she'll take it. No need to support the weight overnight. I have been known to pull into a campground with the trailer hitched on the back for just an overnight stay and I don't do much of anything other than pull the keys. They were designed to take the weight so I'm sure they can handle it for days on end. Heck done that many a time and no ill effects...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...(great bunch you are). she was good to go and could have taken much more. ;Sweet
I got the concrete down...but now I can't park on it for 2 weeks > :(

waynebo

Reaction score
I have an 84 f-350 dump truck and hauled 5 tons 2 times and 3 tons 2 times in the same day last week,each trip about 20 miles,it was scary and slow but the truck did not seem to mine.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Loaded, the rear suspension/bumper went down 4" !!!
i know i'm late on this, but if it helps:
i routinely buy topsoil/compost by the bag - your local Lowes or Home Depot will cut you a deal if you talk to the right person....
i have them load a pallet with a forklift, getting the weight over the axle as much as a $6/hr towmotor driver can, anyway. Fifty 40 pound bags = 2000 pounds. 1 ton drops my bumper less than that 4" (but more than i expected)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
i know i'm late on this, but if it helps:
i routinely buy topsoil/compost by the bag - your local Lowes or Home Depot will cut you a deal if you talk to the right person....
i have them load a pallet with a forklift, getting the weight over the axle as much as a $6/hr towmotor driver can, anyway. Fifty 40 pound bags = 2000 pounds. 1 ton drops my bumper less than that 4" (but more than i expected)
I was wondering what the load max for pallets were....towed a chev light 3/4ton once with two pallets of quickrete in the bed. Scaled at 19.7k . I won't be repeating that stunt again. :eek:

BJS

Reaction score
towcat said:
I was wondering what the load max for pallets were....towed a chev light 3/4ton once with two pallets of quickrete in the bed. Scaled at 19.7k . I won't be repeating that stunt again. :eek:

Pallets of Quickrete are 3360 unless you get the little 40# bags, then they are only 3200

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online