Parking light

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't the TECA for the E4OD pass a small current through the brake light circuit to control torque converter lock. I've read more than one story of a shorted tail light bulb will cause havoc on the TECA/TC. I think Gary even had this happen to him......

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Maybe, but not in my case. Mine is an 86 with a C6.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes you still run into "ghost" lights where the brake lights are on dimly all the time from leakage currents. I have never proven it, but I think it comes from the ABS and the cruise circuit boards that are tied to the brake switch wire.
I could be wrong, but I think the cruise control circuit boards reading whether the brake lights are on or not isn't the case with all trucks. Earlier trucks used a physical vacuum dump switch on the brake pedal (and the clutch pedal on manual transmission trucks). I would guess that they changed this when they went from the vacuum cruise servo to the electronic setup in '93, but again I'm not sure.

I know that M-B has a similar setup, with the brake lights affecting the cruise control. Having a brake light out could make your cruise control not work, and heaven help you if you did an LED conversion.

To the more gneeral question/issue of LED bulbs...they're great for reducing electrical load and longevity, and I plan to do the LED upgrade myself at a later point in time (along with relaying the running light circuit and high/low beams). However, someone once pointed out a potential concern...since the LED doesn't get the housing warm like incandescent bulbs do, if you live in an area that snows, you may have a problem with snow build-up on the lens. Not a problem with incandescent bulbs (and not a problem for people like me who don't deal with snow :angel: ), since they heat the housing enough to melt the snow, but a potential issue with LED's. I wonder if it might be possible/feasible to add a low-level heating element to the housings to melt any snow that might get in contact with the lens, and only turn that element on in cold weather?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the cruise control circuit boards reading whether the brake lights are on or not isn't the case with all trucks. Earlier trucks used a physical vacuum dump switch on the brake pedal (and the clutch pedal on manual transmission trucks). I would guess that they changed this when they went from the vacuum cruise servo to the electronic setup in '93, but again I'm not sure.

A vacuum system has both the electrical interlock AND the vacuum dump valve. The electrical interlock tells the cruise brain to release the servo, but the servo will then have to bleed down gradually. The dump valve dumps the vacuum off the servo quickly to bring the throttle shut more rapidly. You can see what it would do without the dump valve by just pushing the off button on the steering wheel.

If you just dumped the vacuum, the cruise brain would still be working and the truck would accelerate once the dump valve shut. I actually retro fitted a cruise system on a old 66 GMC pickup I had. The engine I swapped in had it, so I thought why not? I had to make a bracket for the dump valve under the dash, and when it was all said and done, it would dump the vacuum before the brake switch came on. So I could lightly push the pedal and it would slow down, and then release the pedal and it would leap forward, as I would go slower and slower, the cruise brain was trying to compensate and go faster. Of course I did not do this on purpose, it was one of those fabrication errors that needed to be corrected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online