Parking Brake Problem

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things first, I have not found any like problems in a search, and two I cannot imagine why a 'simple' system like this is causing so much problems???

Anywhoo....My parking brake seems to un-adjust itself,...no, the adjusters work as advertised, back up and they tighten the shoes as they should, and I get a good pedal resistance. All is good for a number of miles, then when I go to apply the parking brake it might work for a time or two, or it might go to the floor with little or no resistance!!???

I can manually adjust them or just back up a number of times and get a good parking and service pedal response, like I stated, for a while, could be a few miles, maybe a 40 or 50. Then it is out of adjustment again.

Background-Bought the 1994 F250 4x4 with a leaking axle seal, had it replaced along with the shoes and a parking brake adjuster cable that was broken. The first time or two this happened I called the tech and he suggested the new shoes needed time to adapt to the curvature of the brake drum, and that it would all be good after a period of time. It isn't-.....

I will probably take it back to him, but I don't think he knows what the solution/fix is either. I have examined the repair work and all seems right, but I know Ford did not intend for this to operate like this.

One last item, it is not loose cables, as the pedal will adjust up as advertised, nor is it a TSB item as this is a 1994 model.

Anyone have any ideas?????What am I missing??????

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the TSB is for the '92-'96 models? 'm talking about the pedal assembly TSB, where they lock the ratchet pawl so it don't skip...

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, it does include those years....must have been 'asleep at the keyboard!'

Upon close examination I found two phone numbers at Ford for the Parking Brake, Power Lumbar Control wiring and Speed Control Deactivation Switch recall. My harness is not fused and a call to my local dealer and [somewhere at} Ford gave no results-they could not find any mention of them. Now I have the recall numbers and maybe I can get some cooperation from a dealer that is in denial...---no I am not going to count my chickens just yet LOL

FWIW they are 1-866-436-7332 and 1-866-392-3673, listed under the Speed control recall.

Speed Control Deactivation switch overheat #05V388000, 06V286000 dated Aug 2, 2006.

Power Lumbar Harness recall #96V064000 dated Apr 26, 1996

Parking Brake # 96V169001 dated Nov 19, 1994.
There one or two other parking brake recalls that are not germane to my problem.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing I didn't count them chickens. The 'Helpful Lady' at the other end done in essance what the dealer done, "The computer says no outstanding issues.' Thus ---go away! And what irks me is that I can SEE the lack of a fuse in the 10" CC wire, etc.

Almost enough to make me Jump Ship-I certainly will not be buying another FoMoCo product!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin