P-7100 - 160hp pump (Auto Trans) vs 215 pump (Manual Trans)

Benchmark

Reaction score
What are the internal differences between the P7100 160hp auto trans pump and the manual trans 215hp pump?

Thank you in advance!

turboman1

Reaction score
The 215 pumps have different plungers than the 160 pumps. When the rack travels forward in the pump it will turn the plunger causing it to take more lift to stop fuel from going out the spill port. Here is a picture of the different plungers. THe last one is the 215 plunger and the notch on the top right is the one that causes it to defuel at higher rpms.

There is also the differences as stated above

Hope this helps
Adam

Attachments

• P7100 Pump Plungers.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 60

anthonyca

Reaction score
How do the 160 pumps respond to mods? Can you make the same power with mods as a 215?

Benchmark

Reaction score
I don't know all the ins and outs of the pumps but my automatic 160 has responded well to the oversized air filter, straight piping, sliding the plate forward and turning up the star wheel. I am hesitant to dial up anything further until I install gauges. I am very happy and somewhat surprised with the increased power.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
How do the 160 pumps respond to mods? Can you make the same power with mods as a 215?

Garmon's Diesel Performance put together a shop truck that does 700+hp at the wheels (decompressed motor, compound twins) plus gets 35mpg if you keep your foot out of it. The write up is in Diesel Power (June 2009). According to the article, the 160hp pump will provide plenty of fuel, just don't use it for big rpm (that's what the 215hp pump is for).
I got a chance to talk to the owner for few minutes, and he said on one trip going to a show that even doing triple digit speeds the truck still did low to mid 20s:eek:
Oh, and it spun the rollers on the chassis dyno to almost 180mph!;burnout

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The PDR (Piers) Stoopid pumps start as a 160hp pump. You cant get the same power results by just sliding the plate though. The 160 pump will take you to about 240hp, the 215 will get you about 320-340.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know all the ins and outs of the pumps but my automatic 160 has responded well to the oversized air filter, straight piping, sliding the plate forward and turning up the star wheel. I am hesitant to dial up anything further until I install gauges. I am very happy and somewhat surprised with the increased power.

For what you've already done you are in the danger zone without gauges, a stocker can pull 1200* so with your tweaks you could be hitting 1400* at times. ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7