Overheating ???

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The reservoir in the 05 need to be refilled (never done before) but I wonder why. Some time ago I posted about this situation since I noticed there was white dripping marks around the top of the coolant reservoir, now I can see clearly that is needs to be refilled, I wonder what is causing this since the truck has not towed anything in the past few weeks. I drive it in traffic some times with the a/c ON but nothing else. Btw it has an auto tranny.

Thank You.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Moved for ya.

Clean off the res and fill to the bottom line not the full line. Clean the inside of the cap to make sure you are getting a good seal and watch it.

You may have a leak on the EGR cooler, this seems to be the most common place but you could also have head gasket issues.

John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Oh I still have the IDI, that baby is not leaving, in fact I have plans for it. The pds sure is a beast, I understand now why You guys get tickled with power bug.

Thank You for the tip, I'll do that as soon as I get a jug of motorcraft coolant and check what happens.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well it is not spilling coolant for now but I've noticed there is like a tranny filter on the front end at the pass side from under the truck. This 'filter' started leaking fluid this week, it does not drip but You can see it at the base of the 'filter' and is not the hose, are this symptoms related? I take it that driving on traffic with the ac ON heats up the tranny? (torkshift 5spd)

Also I found out of the seal between the engine and bell-housing there is another oil drip (not on the ground) that I cleaned but looked more like engine oil. This truck only have 20k miles :eek: :mad:

and last but not least, I'm I crazy or the oil filter is on top of the engine cookoo .

I guess I'll have to update My sign :rolleyes: .

Thank You.

Attachments

• 101_0105~1.jpg
    101_0105~1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 17
  • 101_0106~1.jpg
    101_0106~1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 13

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
EZ...Cool on the coolant leak, there was a TSB out on the overfilling of the resevoir but I can't find it right now. Just keep an eye on it and keep it at the bottom line. Running the A/C in traffic should not cause any problems.

The torqueshift does have an external filter up front passenger side, it is a screw on canister type filter and may need a little tightening, just don't over tighten it or you'll play hell getting it off again.

There have been some issues with what looked like oil dripping between the bell housing and motor, sometimes it's a rear seal leak but most of the time it's assembly lube just getting hot and dripping out, my 06 did this for a about 2000 miles and then stopped, once again keep it clean and keep an eye on it for a few miles.

Yes the oil filter is on top of the motor, makes for nice clean oil changes, just be prepared when you completely loosen the cap it's spring loaded and has a tendancy to sproing up and make a mess.

Enjoy your rig...........

John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
EZ, you found the darkside or what? Trying to slip under the radar?:rotflmao
Mel already knows :eek:

No no, I still have the IDI and :love: it every minute, I just like variety on the stable, so You can guess what's coming next :D I just have to find a good way to make it work to pay for itself.

Thank You for the answers, I will keep an eye on the engine/transmission leak to make sure is just lube oil as You mentioned. Oil filter on top maybe convenient but now Viviana won't believe it when I say I've been working on the truck :rolleyes: . I have My eye on the coolant like a hawk and I will try and tight that filter one time, it is just funny that the day before (when I discovered it) it was nice and clean and the next day :rolleyes: .

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You for asking, I was just getting ready to post some updates. For the coolant seems to be on check but I'm on it like a hawk, on the other hand the tranny filter is still leaking the same amount. I tried tightening it and it felt like it was already tight so I didn't disturb it but I can't figure where is it coming from. There is only two fittings and the filter so it has to be from one of the 3. I'm going to try and buy Me the gauges from the site You guys told Me about some time soon, I don't like the stock gauges (no # cookoo ).

Should I just pull both lines and re connect? I know there must be an o-ring or something there but automatic transmissions are not My specialty.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Yes there is an o-ring on the tranny filter housing, when was the last time it was serviced/flushed?? May be time for it anyways.

John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
With 21k miles in it? I really don't trust any mechanic in My area (never needed one with all You guys + I have a 5spd), is there any way I can do this myself? will it affect anything if I just pull the filter bowl and see why this is leaking?

Thank You.

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
EZ,

I work for a construction company with about 20 F-450, 6.0's with auto trans and even at extended change intervals on the trans, we still service them every 20,000mi. That's a filter and fluid. So yeah, yer due for a trans fluid change.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the torqshifts a really good transmission, ive had many customers go 50k intervals with no damage problems well into 200k, the service interval per ford is 30k normal usage

i didn't really read threw the thread of what the response of others where, but Im thinking your EGR cooler, and/or oil cooler is due for a change, the white residue is from pressure in your cooling system building up because the intake system is interacting with your cooling system, as in, you floor the truck, that 24lbs of turbo boost happens and maybe 10 lbs of that boost makes its way into the cooling system, and on top of that, some coolant is also being sucked into your combustion chamber causing your disappearing coolant.

take it to your local dealer, its under the 5yr/100k powertrain coverage, tell them its using coolant, not leaking anywhere, if there any good at all they should be able to fix it readily, for the low low price of a $100 deductable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance