Overheated and now blows white smoke

jay_t

Reaction score
On Thursday I over heated my truck pretty good. I drove a short distance home. On the way, it ran fine however, I noticed the oil pressure would follow the throttle. In the past it always stayed pretty steady. Pulled it up in the driveway no trouble. It was hot! Topped the coolant off tonight and it would not start without a stepping on the throttle. Tons of white smoke but not sweet smelling like coolant. Could an injector have melted?

1992 F250 7.3 Ext Cb 4WD

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is unburned fuel or coolant. If it doesn't smell like diesel fuel, then it's got to be coolant. Be careful, don't let it hydrolock and bend a rod. If you need to drive it, you might be able to get by by leaving the radiator cap loose so it will not build pressure till you get it fixed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No chance an injector melted but they can stick open too. After the engine is running and warmed up does the smoke go away or stay.

jay_t

Reaction score
After many years of owning diesels and operating diesels at work, it pains me to admit, I topped it off with gas!!!! I found out when I was looking over the fuel lines and pulled the filter. The fuel didn't look right. I went back to the station I filled up a a couple of towns away. In high high bays for rigs there was gas. Too distracted and running on muscle memory, just swiped my card an pumped in a couple gallons of gas. I drained the tank and filter, left the lines alone, and filled the filter with a bit of atf and diesel and it is back. The old pig has not run this smooth in years!!! The gas had to clean something out. Thanks for the input guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger