Out of here!!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
We are officially on our way south (in 10 minutes...). Got the truck cleaned up between rain drops. Steph pulled an all nighter and clothes are packed, food is packed and everything is hooked up. Bad t-storm coming in the area now, but we are off. Wish us well in our travels. Lexington, VA is tonight's stop, Ashville NC for two nights then down to Chatty!!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
Update

Well, we are at Bear Creek Campground in Ashville, NC. It was a trying time getting here. 20 minutes into the trip yesterday, Steph mentioned that the honey wagon had shifted in the bed of the truck. Fearing it could rub a hole, I saw a vacant gas station on Rt 15 that I could safely pull into. I get out and much to my surprise I notice a wheel on the trailer is missing. ***! All 5 lugs are sheared off! Well, there goes our trip I tell Steph. She looks across 15 and we are opposite Endless Summer RV. They cannot fit me in! I pull to the end of their lot and proceed to remove the hub and drive out the studs. After getting 3 out and smashing a couple fingers, Steph goes in and sweet talks a mechanic into presing out the other two. Parts does not have any studs, but the mechanic comes out w/ 5 installed! He pulled them from another unit. He tells the parts gal to charge me $2.25 a stud! :hail :thumbsup: ;Sweet Lost RV wheel and total $$ was $15!!! In the middle of a down pour, Steph helped me get her buttoned up and back on our way. Steph also found a little frog while I was repairing the RV. (Frogs are a nice symbol to us. Forever Relying On God - FROG) "Endless Frog" will be at the rally. :rotflmao The good Lord was looking out for us big time. No battlefield tour for us on Sunday. I need to go give thanks! No damage to the RV. Just some dirty shorts and my smashed fingers! LOL

Today we dealt w/ some nice 6% grades. Mileage is about 10, I have been out of O/D a lot. Keep the RPM at 2500, boost at 6, pyro at 900, tranny at about 180, water is about 190 to 220 ish and she has been humming along nicely. I had to back out of the throttle 'cuz of exhaust temps numerous times

RV mechanic thinks I failed to check the lugs after I repacked the bearings. (OK, we are pretty sure I failed to tighten them). That caused the wheel to dig into the studs.

Be safe guys and gals. Thanks for the prayers. And double, triple check your lug nuts etc!

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to hear every thing is back going. Keep the faith and we will see you when you arrive. Take care of the frog he will make the trip safe for you. :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And to think that the Lord sent all that rain, just so I wouldn't have time to repack my bearings. cookoo If my wheel falls off, I'll be missing more than studs. :eek: LOL

yea. I can laugh now, can't I. ;Really

:angel:

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck and Godspeed to all you travellers! I'll miss the roundup as I'll be in Indy for the F-1 race. Hope they manage to outdo last year's fiasco!

Attachments

• Formula1-Mercedes-pictures-2.jpg
    Formula1-Mercedes-pictures-2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 3

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
And to think that the Lord sent all that rain, just so I wouldn't have time to repack my bearings. cookoo If my wheel falls off, I'll be missing more than studs. :eek: LOL

yea. I can laugh now, can't I. ;Really

:angel:

Actually Mel you shouldn't laugh until you are back home with all four wheels on the ground in your driveway. Until then you need to be doing this :hail to Mr. Murphy!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a quote from Mad Max III

I'm the guy who keeps Mr. Murphy in his back pocket.

:eek: :D

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we are here and looking for everyone to arrive. No problems for us but we only had a couple of hours of driving. pictures will begin tomarrow