How soon do I need a new IP?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After looking online for a replacement IP it looks like I will have to order one from Autozone or Orielly's in Rapid City which is another 165 miles or from Orielly's in Pierre which is 50 miles away.
Do you think I could make to either place before the IP quits completely? Or should I try to find one in a junkyard? That is if I could even find one nearby.
Personally, I would rather take my chances on a junk yard IP than on one from a parts store. If it quits, in short time like the parts store one probably would, you'll be out less money that way.

If you can limp by until you can get a good pump, the money you would have spent on a “temporary” chain store pump could get you a set of quality injectors as well.
Yes. DEFINITELY replace the injectors and pump as a set. they wear at the same rate and have the same usable life.

It has been a pretty reliable truck but it's age is catching up with it. I've spent about $5000
this past year fixing the front end, replacing the vacuum pump, replacing the radiator, and other minor stuff.
James
Think of it this way. You can do the same thing with a truck that's only 15 years old too. Plus you'll probably spend quite a bit more money to buy the 15 year old truck in the first place.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yawnnnnn
And next...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sergey

Reaction score
when I tried to restart the truck it just cranked and wouldn't fire up.
I poured water over the IP to cool it off and the truck started right up after ward. The truck has over 160,000 miles on..
James
Hi James,
for years I was taught to never ever pour cold water on hot diesel engine, in particular never pour water onto hot injection pump. As doing so will immediately seize it due to thermal shock. I follow this rule still.
Am I reading description of some sort of magical procedure?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not cold water, it's cool/lukewarm water. I don't have any info on the thermal shock, but it kind of sounds like an urban legend to me.

Well it makes perfect sense though.

What you're doing with the water is cooling the housing ever so slightly so the tolerances are tight enough for the pump to build pressure.

If you did that to an IP that wasn't worn out the tolerances could very well get TOO tight and cause it to seize.

Thermal shock doesn't quite sound like the correct term but the outcome would be the same.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water came from a gallon jug I had in the bed of the truck and was pretty warm considering the temperature that day was 103*. I have only poured water on the IP twice, and both times I had to move the truck right away and couldn't wait for it to cool off naturally.
James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well it makes perfect sense though.

What you're doing with the water is cooling the housing ever so slightly so the tolerances are tight enough for the pump to build pressure.

If you did that to an IP that wasn't worn out the tolerances could very well get TOO tight and cause it to seize.

Thermal shock doesn't quite sound like the correct term but the outcome would be the same.
I was thinking about using the water to help with starting with heat soak. I can't picture someone pouring water over an IP that starts right up when it's hot.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about using the water to help with starting with heat soak. I can't picture someone pouring water over an IP that starts right up when it's hot.

Yes however this other post could have been i opinion.

Hi James,
for years I was taught to never ever pour cold water on hot diesel engine, in particular never pour water onto hot injection pump. As doing so will immediately seize it due to thermal shock. I follow this rule still.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water works
if yer heat soaking a pump, whatcha got to lose???

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember
it's gotta be true "written on thee net"
Should you drive your junk into the ground past duty hours???

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
, in particular never pour water onto hot injection pump. As doing so will immediately seize it due to thermal shock. I follow this rule still.
I personally don't know myself but I distinctly remember being told same thing thru the yrs by 4 different diesel mechanics. Even at a carwash hosing down a hot IP, especially if it's really hot. And above all don't pour or spray COLD water on a hot IP.
I've always been careful with mine, even at carwash if it's hot.
I called 2 of them today (good friends of mine mechanics) & asked again. Their reply was "be careful. However if pump wore out (lots & lots of miles) then that might make a difference, to try starting. But sounds like time for new pump alright."

Either way myself, I'm gonn'a be careful.

Sergey

Reaction score
I personally don't know myself but I distinctly remember being told same thing thru the yrs by 4 different diesel mechanics. Even at a carwash hosing down a hot IP, especially if it's really hot. And above all don't pour or spray COLD water on a hot IP.
Yes, exactly, and I learned this rule long before "thee internet" was born

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin