Ordered my Ranger

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Rangers are good when You pull trailers often or heavy, not so much if You plan to drive in the city a lot. You will learn which gears You want to split, most likely 2 to 3rd and then OD. Make sure You drive enough miles before You dump the first oil fill.

Drive enough miles before dumping first oil?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Drive enough miles before dumping first oil?

If You're buying it new then You will get the little manual it comes with, it should say as mine did to drive for about half hour and then dump the cheap oil and refill with the amsoil lube the ranger comes with. I feel half hour wasn't enough in My case, after a year I dumped the amsoil to refill with new oil and I feel it was dirtier than it should yet the ranger was shifting perfect like it did the first day. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The most I pulled with this truck was a 20ft prowler tandem axle travel trailer with my portable welder and couple hundred pounds of tools in the back. 4th 1.00, was great for rolling hills and the like as I it was plenty low enough that I didn't have to shift much. It did most hills in 3rd. and on one 7% grade I had to shift to second near the top. It may have done it in third but it was floored and smokey for some time already. If I were towing more often, I would actually not consider installing an overdrive unit. I just want one for empty highway driving. Which I do a lot of. I want to do around 1500-1600rpm at 55 instead of 2000rpm.
How much are you spending for your Ranger?? Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The most I pulled with this truck was a 20ft prowler tandem axle travel trailer with a welding and couple hundred pounds of tools in the back. 4th 1.00, was great for rolling hills and the like as I it was plenty low enough that I didn't have to shift much. It did most hills in 3rd. and on one 7% grade I had to shift to second near the top. It may have done it in third but it was floored and smokey for some time already. If I were towing more often, I would actually not consider installing an overdrive unit. I just want one for empty highway driving. Which I do a lot of. I want to do around 1500-1600rpm at 55 instead of 2000rpm.
How much are you spending for your Ranger?? Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

You didn't miss it, they wanted 1400, I talked her down to 1300 (not much but still) because she kinda broke my heart telling me it would take 6 weeks.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well that aint too bad. I expected it to be worse as the gear venders are stupid expensive. And the good things in life always take time I guess!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online