Oppurtunity to buy IDI motor.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I have the oppurtunity to buy my cousins 7.3 IDI motor out of his centurion. Only thing is it was in a fire. The dash is toast and front seats. The engine compartment got hot as well. Had a fiberglass hood and its all gone. Melted the headlights and paint off the fenders. The aluminum BANKS turbo on top of the motor is still intact. Yall think just puttin new seals and stuff on it would fix it or you think there are other probs too? I dont see any metal melted. Wires dont have any coating on them anymore. What yall think? It will be a cheap purchase or free if I pull it myself and help him fix the centurion up a lil he said.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the engine is fine and the turbo is probably fine too. You know how hot those things get in normal operation. All mechanical stuff is probably fine, everything plastic or electrical is junk.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I would say that it's probably fine, I know a few people that have bought engines from equipment (Case and IH) real cheap because it was burned up in a fire and the engines are just fine. It's steel and cast Iron, as long as they didn't put out the fire with water it's not going to be hurt. Look at the intake manifold, it's aluminum if it survived then the rest did... but the oil might have burned up and made a mess so it may need cleaned.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea thats what im thinkin too. I mean i would go completely through it first before i put in somethin. I assume they make a gasket and seal kit for them? Would I have to actually put new headgaskets on it? If i tore this thing down might as well re ring it and stuff right? Do it right the first time.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet its fine. i helped my neighbor when i lived in ottawa put an idi that was in a fire in his truck. runs great to this day

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well all this makes me feel better then. Now just got to figure out how im gonne get it. I am plannin on sticking it in my 60 ford panel truck. Its sitting on a full size bronco frame right now. Atleast I think it would fit. Or I could stick it in my big van. Too many choices.